Sump/Overflow confusion-please....!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sum1serin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've decided to do a 55 gallon reef tank.

I'm trying to figure this all out before I make the actual purchase of the tank itself.

I really want to do a sump or overflow.. or is it both?

I am so confused and all that I have read is still confusing me!

So I get the whole sump setup, just not how it connects to the main tank!

It's easy to find 55 gal tanks that are not drilled, but to find one that is?

What happens if all you can find is a non drilled one? I really don't want to gamble $100 tank to get it drilled... kind of scary.

Any advice would surely help.. I am absolutely confused!! Please help me.

I have no problem with making my own sump.

It's the connecting to the acutal tank that I'm leery about...

I figure it's probably easier for me to just get a HOB overflow than to find someone to drill a hole- even though it pobably looks more clean with a drilled hole.

I am also curious as to how the overflow will stop sucking if the power does go off- because I'm assuming it's simply gravity fed, and gravity doesn't stop. So what I am imagining is that the power goes out, it keeps filling the sump.... and... nevermind... because the overfill will only keep sucking until it gets to a certain waterline-....

I think that makes sense, right? My brain is so fried right now.

Well, I am in the process of designing a sump for my tank. Agree on everything you said about drilling, but I am not looking to do that either. However, that is because the tank is currently in operation. If not, I would definitely be looking for a drilled tank.
That said, there are a number of safety mechanisms with HOB overflows. In particular, they are not gravity fed (at least for the draw from the main tank). It is usually some sort of siphon. One way to prevent the siphon from draining the tank is to have a hole in the siphon tube so that once the water reaches a certain level, the siphon will break and flow will stop. Whatever type of HOB overflow you consider, there will be some mechanism to stop the drain when the return pump stops.
Chris

So the actual HOB overflow will already come with the mechanism and I wont have to create this mechanism? Because figuring out how to create one is confusing me already lol.

And I'm assuming that the return tube hangs on the bas as well? like i U shaped connection that hangs on the back?

I've just not seen one in person or acutally seen a decent photo of one- I'm sure if I had, I'd be in a better position.

Check out the CPR HOB overflows at:
http://www.cprusa.com/products/overflows.html
They work great. If you have a power loss the water will continue to drain into the sump until the display tank water line falls below the overflow intake, breaking the siphon. Make sure you leave enough empty volumn in the sump to handle this amount of water. Locate your return pump high enough in the sump so that if the power is restored you will only pump water into the display until the pump intake goes dry. The trick is balancing the water levels so that neither the display tank nor the sump can overflow.

jd4g said:
Locate your return pump high enough in the sump so that if the power is restored you will only pump water into the display until the pump intake goes dry.

I'm not picturing this.... :D

The thing is.... the likelihood of me losing power, is slim to none, because I have a backup generator that will power up immediately the whole house. heh.

edit:

And the tank is now going to be a 75 gallon.

It will have a built in overflow with 600gph flow rate....

with that being said oh.. specs- a perfecto 75 gallon tank w/corner flow and kit. as well as the perfecto stand 48"x18" and I believe it's about 36" tall.

What size return pump would I need? and I'm assuming I'd need a pump for that overflow?
This is all new to me, but at least I have some specs now. heh.

Back
Top Bottom