sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DamselnDistress

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thinking about building my own sump. I'm thinking a 20 or 25 gal aquarium and just hooking it up to an overflow box. I was told to get one with U tubing. Anyone have good luck with a certain brand of overflow box? Also I was told my fluval 404 was not enough filtration. Should I add another filter? A emperor something or other was suggested to me. Could I place that in my sump and should i keep my canister filter in the main tank or should i run that through my sump as well? Also protein skimmer....what brand? But shouldn't my 80 lbs of live rock im planning on getting, protein skimmer, and canister filter be enough filtration without adding another filter?

I use a CPR overflow. I know people have had problems with them, but I think that is normally due to a powerhead failure instead of the overflow actually being at fault. I have noticed that even if I turn off the powerhead that is connected to the overflow for 12 hours, the overflow continues to work, although the overflow volume is reduced.

You don't need a canister filter if you are using LR and LS. Just make sure you have plent of circulation inside the tank (i.e. get some powerheads).

As far as skimmers, get the sump model of the Aqua C. I believe they call it the Urchin. From what I hear, that is the best skimmer out there for that price.

I have had good luck with the old U tube overflow design. I have heard some bad things about the CPR's although I agree with Biggen...if they fail, it would be due to the powerhead stopping. I would use a Maxi Jet PH on it...nothing less than an MJ900 with a 1200 being better. The 1200 will actually restart the siphon by itself. I'm not sure if the 900 would or not.

I have noticed that even if I turn off the powerhead that is connected to the overflow for 12 hours, the overflow continues to work, although the overflow volume is reduced.
not enough to even think about noticing :)
i disagree with this !! sorry but the power head only pulls alittle water and what ever air is trapped at the top ! the only reason ya need a powerhead in the first place is just to restart the syphon if the power goes out !! the prob i found with these is ya want to use a black air line so algae dont build up and stop the flow also if ya have a box bigger than what water your pushing tru it ,that sometimes junk get stuck to the air line stopping the flow of air out of the box !! so match ya box with your flow the best you can !! evey now and then ya will have to poke something into the hole to free junk stuck in the hole !! i run one of mine with no power head at all but power outages her are slim to none :)

Ok, I re-read your post a ton of times and I think I finally understand what you are saying.

Basically you are saying that one only needs the PH if the siphon breaks? Correct?

Not necessarily. If enough air builds up inside the overflow, it will break. The PH keeps this from happening. Running the overflow without the PH not only increases your chances for a flood on your floor, but also reduces the amount of volume the overflow is capable of.

If you don't believe me, run the overflow with the PH on for a few minutes and notice your tank water level. Next, run the overflow without the PH and, again, look at your tank water level. It is higher without the PH on. If enough air built up inside the overflow, the siphon would break and the contents of your sump would be pumped onto the floor.

Oh, btw. I am playing devil's advocate. If I had to do it again, I would take Logan's advice and buy a U tube type overflow.

hm ok u tube type...well do i really need to do the whole sump thing if i have like 80 pounds of live rock or 90 pounds and a canister filter and a protein skimmer....i was a prizm hang on pro for 100 bucks at my lfs they have them on sale...i need a hang on if i have no sump. And i need the back of my tank to look neat n clean without a bunch of gross filter stuff hanging off the back because my kitchen table is near the back of the tank.

OK, first you really don't need the canister for anything other than flow and possibly the occasional use of AC. The trouble with canisters in SW tanks is that they will contribute to nitrate levels. The Prizm Pro for $100 is a great deal. Are you sure it's not the smaller Prizm Deluxe? Average online price for the Pro is about $200.00. I like the Aqua C for a HOB skimmer. Remora for up to about a 55 gal and Remora Pro for up to about 125 gal or so. JMHO.
As far as having stuff hanging on the back of the tank, you're going to have this either way unless you have the tank drilled. The overflow will hang off the back with a hose going down to the sump. Of course, the HOB skimmer would hang back there as well. You might be able to put your HOB stuff on the side of the tank though.

yep 100 bucks...they have the regular non pro skimmer on sale for 80 bucks i was like whoahhhh

no biggen think ya missing what im saying !! yes if ya cap the airline to the box then yea it would fill with air and slow the flow for sure !! but if you just disconnect the air line from your ph and let gravity take its course ya dont lose any water flow!! and it still sucks out the air thats trapped !! but the ph has no effect on the water leaving the tank! if your pumping in 600 gph in your tank 600 gallons will flow thru the box and very very little goes thru the air line !! the way u explained it,it would sound that with out a power head your tank would overflow !! only if the air line gets clogged and cant pull out the extra air or a power outage !! it is safer to use with a ph for sure no doubt but has nothing to do with the flow !!

also if ya think about if ya start a siphon with an air line tube how long does it take to drain a 5 gallon bucket??? like 30-40 min !!! so no way ya tank water line would raise just cause ya not using a ph !! i run 2 cprs one has a ph the other in the basement on a gravity feed !!

not a biggy just disagree that a powerhead hooked to a 3/16th line pulls enough water to make a diff !! if anything ive found that the one with the powerhead get more junk stuck into the airline than the one thats on gravity !! due to the exrta force it trying to suck anything into it !! and imo nomatter which way ya set it up ya have to keep a close eye that all is well for sure !!

Back
Top Bottom