Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chadryman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two questions;

1. The sump on my 26 gallon bow front is about 18'' long, 8" wide and 12" deep. It looks like it would hold about 10 gallons or so filled to the top. I also have a 500gph pump and airstone protein skimmer. How much larger of an aquarium could get if I wanted to keep using this equipment and still have a healthy reef?

2. I also want to start a small 10 gal. set up for mantis shrimp. What kind of filtration do I need for something like that?

How big do you want your tank? I think a 100 120g (3-4ft) tank would be nice; but thats just me.

I have my mantis shrimp in my sump. He gets all the good water from the main tank but he cannot get anywhere near my beautiful fish. Its a win win situation

I`m thinking a 55 gallon tank might be the limit. I had at one time a 55 with a 10 gallon wet dry. When you are running it you dont want it full as if you lose power the backflow will overflow it.

thanks. your mantis does well in your sump without light? how do you feed him?

How big do you want your tank? I think a 100 120g (3-4ft) tank would be nice; but thats just me.

I have my mantis shrimp in my sump. He gets all the good water from the main tank but he cannot get anywhere near my beautiful fish. Its a win win situation

I have a light that is on for about 4hours. I through it a few pieces of shrimp or diced fish every 2nd day. Not sure is that is too much or not enough. It seems to keep him happy. It has been there for 1 year now. If I open the door I find he is looking around; I only see him for 1-2 second as he hides back into the rock.

Back
Top Bottom