Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sump Question

I recently cycled my 30 gallon sw tank. I have since added a clownfish, hermits and snails. The question I have is about the 10 gallon sump I am adding to the tank. I plan on running a skimmer down there and maybe some activated carbon.

If I were to have a hob filter running in the sump, would it even matter? I was thinking in terms of particles in the water but if the hob filter is in the sump, would the effectiveness be reduced to nothing because the overflow wont be picking up any particles in the water. Is this right or am I wrong? If it is true should I just leave the hob filter on the main tank?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldnt put the hob on the sump, like you said the overflow should be getting the particles out. Will you be using a filter sock in your sump? Cause that too will get the particulate matter out.

Did that help? lol

Old 07-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well should I just run a filter sock in the sump and forget about the hob filter? I was just concerned that the overflow wouldnt be picking up enough particles in the water because it is at the surface. I've never had an overflow so I wouldnt really know lol
Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

In the back of the overfllow before it goes down to the sump there should be a sponge filter. I would think the filter sock can handle the remaining debris making your hob not needed. thats the joy of a sump, get rid of everything up above and get it hidden and below.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just out of curiosity, is there enough room in sump in the event the return pump fails? If you shut off return pump, how many gallons will drain from the 30?

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com