Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll try filter floss or the microsock. I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

My skimmer is turned off because it's new and instructions said to leave it off during cycling of a new tank.

I'll post an updated picture or video when I get home. I appreciate all your suggestions.

image-2067909461.jpg

Here's the updated picture. If you look closely you can see the bubble formed up at the top and the acrylic panel I put on top to stop the water from splashing.

I'm sorry- I looked at the previous two pages of this thread, but where is the splashing coming from? If it is from your return, then I would add a filter sock. However, the mist has me puzzled. Splashing normally doesn't cause a mist, but possibly hundreds/thousands of microbubbles popping?

It would be easier if I had a full sump pic. Do you have one? Also- can you capture what the mist looks like, or can you detect what side of the sump it's coming from?

image-2411951166.jpg

Here's a better picture any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks.

It's coming from the left side of my sump where my heater is and the mist goes all the way to where my return pump side is on. I can only get a side view picture of the sump.

Here it is.

image-1875423092.jpg

Ok so I moved my PH higher and towards the middle aiming towards the glass. It's high enough to where I get some movement on the top as well. I took off the top glass for now to get some good gas exchange but I'm probably going to put it back once I transfer my fish and corals.

image-2826361020.jpg

I noticed all the micro bubbles in my first chamber and I ordered the microsock so hopefully that works. Thank you all for your help.

Looking at your sump...that has to be moving water with some real power to still be causing that much movement. I'd put that as being the problem. The sock will probably help, but maybe toning down the pump?

The return pump is almost shut off completely. I've got it at a rate now where the water lvl in the last chamber just makes it over the acrylic panel and the waterline stays about half an inch from the top in that last chamber.

Could this be my problem or does this look right?

image-1480125576.jpg

Ok, so you have a nice little waterfall over the panel? Sounds good. The goal of a sump isn't to have it filled up with water like your DT, but to give added ways of adding air and removing nitrates and such. I'd bet you had water every which way because it was over filled and that your return pump is to strong and pulling a ton of water.

Ok so I thought I'ld let you know that the microsock did the trick. Thanks.

Ok different problem now... Does the return pump (mag 9). Have to be almost completely off? It seems like it is returning all the water too fast now that I put the microsock. I have the ball valve restricting almost all the flow.

The return pump is almost shut off completely. I've got it at a rate now where the water lvl in the last chamber just makes it over the acrylic panel and the waterline stays about half an inch from the top in that last chamber.

Could this be my problem or does this look right?

View attachment 68745

Most of the standpipes that i've seen in videos have that 90 turned so that it faces down, not up. I dont have one but have been watching alot of videos on how to do it and that looks wrong. I am sure others will chime in that actually have them.

Here is one of the videos that show it really well. Go to about 1:50 into the video. Seems like if its turned up and the water drops just a little it will suck air. The sock will fix the sympton but not the problem. Just my noob opinion.

So then do I turn it upside down so it doesn't suck up air?

I am sorry. I have no experience with it. I have just been researching getting ready to build one. I dont know if that 90 is on there permanently or if you can just turn it. It would be worth a try, if you could just turn it over I think. Good luck. Sorry I cant be more help.

Yeah I think I have it upside down and that's why I'm not getting enough water to the return chamber on time. My return pump has been going dry and making a load noise. I'll change it when I get home and see if it works.

Are you using a trickle filter to get the water back into the sump from the tank or is it being pumped into the sump?

Trickle filter? Im not sure what that is but the tank I have is RR and this is what it looks like.

image-1146543169.jpg

That's very similar to mine except where ur 90 is, mine is the other way up.
I mean trickle filter as in the water just runs down the pipe free flow from the tank instead off being pumped into the sump.

Yours would be classed as trickle as the water free flows back into the sump.

Here is a picture of mine with the uv set up on it as well

Attachments

• image-3120006929.jpg
    image-3120006929.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom