Sump question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pryzz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I have a question. I have a 180 gallon tank that I'm in the process of getting equipment for. The tank has an inbuilt filter type deal. Just want to know if that'd be okay or a sump would be better. I'm keen to make a sump but paranoid ill make it wrong or do something wrong and I'll come home from work with water everywhere. Here are some photos of my tank.

Attachments

• image-3485761907.jpg
    image-3485761907.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1834480560.jpg
    image-1834480560.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image-454061827.jpg
    image-454061827.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 87
sweet tank, im just taking the plunge into marine but as far as i know if you can fit a sump in then you would be better off. there doesnt seem to be many cons on using one

Thanks! I'm really paranoid about drilling my tank. Cos if it cracks I will go postal. Plus it was originally going to be a cichlid setup. But I've decided to take the time and expenses of making it a reef as my current tank is doing well.

That's why idiot me got the in tank filter for 300 dollars.

You got the in tank filter for the setup to be a cichlid tank? I haven't seen anything like it and not so sure on how effective it would be in saltwater. A sump is always best bet IMO. I just got done making one from a 20 long for my 55. It is simple to do, you just need a second set of hands. It only cost me 54 bucks when all was said and done, couple sheets of cut glass from Lowes, silicon, and the tank.

I got the filter to save me spending a ****load on one. One of my lfs has all their display tanks set up with filters like this. Worried about it overflowing while I'm at work with a power outage or something. I know they're probably best.

Pryzz said:
Thanks! I'm really paranoid about drilling my tank. Cos if it cracks I will go postal. Plus it was originally going to be a cichlid setup. But I've decided to take the time and expenses of making it a reef as my current tank is doing well.

As long as you ask questions and take your time drilling it should be fine. A few good youtube videos on drilling a tank.

Back
Top Bottom