Sump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DGrab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 55gal with a HOB filter. I am planning to build a sump soon, however I built a stand and canopy fit specifically for the tank/filter combo. Learning more and more I want to build a sump. So my question is:

Could I drill a hole in my HOB filter to take water down to my sump? I would do that rather than an overflow box.

Second question:
How do you figure out what size pump you need to pump water back into the tank?

I don't think the hob filter would drop enough water... You can make a siphon hang on the back overflow... I bought the best pump I could (1300gph+). I think a sump is the best thing ever! I have a 120 gallon tank and a 50 gallon sump.

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Pseudotropheus socolofi (albino) x 1
Labidochromis caeruleus
Metriaclima greshakei x 2
Amatitlania nigrofasciata x 20
Pseudotropheus crabro x 1
6" pleco x 1

120 gallon saltwater

I guess this is where I get slightly confused as well. You say it wouldn't drop enough water, but as far as I understand, the only limitation of the flow of a siphon is the size of the hose.
What am I missing?

Diy or buy a siphon hob overflow. If the hob filter fails you will overflow your tank.

Size of pump is dictated by rating of overflow and vertical distance of pump to top of tank.

With a hob it wouldn't really be a siphon though, it would be the power from the hob sucking water in, if the hob fails no more water would go into the sump, and your DT would overflow and your pump would run dry. If you just do a simple hob overflow (DIY seem pretty easy, mine was predrilled) it is less likely to fail unless there is a power outage, and there's things to correct that as well (different valves).

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Labidochromis caeruleus
6" pleco x 1

120 gallon saltwater

Don't worry. I was sooooo confused when I started. I screwed up a lot too. But after all the research I did, I was still confused so I just jumped in and did it! I got really frustrated and almost gave up haha. Watch videos on YouTube, read every website you can, and don't be afraid to ask questions my one thread "how does an overflow work" has all the silly questions I had when starting, maybe read it because mr. X was awesome at helping!

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Labidochromis caeruleus
6" pleco x 1

120 gallon saltwater

Back
Top Bottom