Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

sump question?

So I am thinking of (yes again) reducing my tank footprint for energy purposes. Both electricity/water savings and my own personal energy as my time is getting very reduced and Im finding it harder to find myself "wanting" to take care of the tanks.

Anyway, again I want to go 20 long. Im thinking of a setup where mine is now (under my wall hung tv ) by using a taller stand, since the long tanks are substantially shorter than the 29 gallons.

Anyway. I figure I might take my 29 and turn it into a sump refuge for my reef 20.

My sump question is you obviously need a pump to take water out of the display but then another pump to get water BACK to the display. You want your sump to be able to hold enough water to make up for a power outage and siphoning down but what happens if the intake pump blows and the out keeps running? Do you put your pump to the display high enough not to cause damage? most of the ones I see the pump sits at the bottom so if the display out fails all the sumps water will still keep pumping up, wont it?

Just curious.

Thanks.

I REALLY want to put both fresh planted and reef right next to each other under the TV. I think that would look amazing, plus my GF misses the planted and honestly hates the reef.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

All the times I've used a sump I didn't have a return pump, the aquarium was drilled. I don't think having two pumps would work very well, it would be really hard to get them to work in balance with each other (the head pressure would be much different for the higher pump, you'd have to mess with throttles and just hope that one didn't slow down because it gunked up or something. If you use an overflow it'll just drain as much as it needs to and will keep itself in balance.

Tacit Blues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No two pump sump systems. You need some type of gravity fed overflow to get water to your sump.Then a pump to return.Most overflows can handle aprox. 750 GPH.
With average head you want to look at 700-900 GPH return with larger being better as you can throttle it down with a ball valve in the return line if needed..
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

What stops your return pump from flooding things is by the size of your return area. It can only pump out that much water.
You don’t pump water from the display. You use an overflow to determine how much water flows into the sump.
The key is having a return pump at higher gph than the overflow. You use a gate valve plumbed in after the return pump to then match the overflow perfectly.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil Nick View Post
So I am thinking of (yes again) reducing my tank footprint for energy purposes. Both electricity/water savings and my own personal energy as my time is getting very reduced and Im finding it harder to find myself "wanting" to take care of the tanks.

Anyway, again I want to go 20 long. Im thinking of a setup where mine is now (under my wall hung tv ) by using a taller stand, since the long tanks are substantially shorter than the 29 gallons.

Anyway. I figure I might take my 29 and turn it into a sump refuge for my reef 20.

My sump question is you obviously need a pump to take water out of the display but then another pump to get water BACK to the display. You want your sump to be able to hold enough water to make up for a power outage and siphoning down but what happens if the intake pump blows and the out keeps running? Do you put your pump to the display high enough not to cause damage? most of the ones I see the pump sits at the bottom so if the display out fails all the sumps water will still keep pumping up, wont it?

Just curious.

Thanks.

I REALLY want to put both fresh planted and reef right next to each other under the TV. I think that would look amazing, plus my GF misses the planted and honestly hates the reef.
The way to prevent overflow in the sump is to use a gravity fed drain into the sump. With the return pump off, fill the sump. Turn the pump on. When the water starts returning the the sump through the drain, mark that level on your sump and never add more water than that level when the tank is running. This way, even if there is a power failure, there can't be a flood. ( Also, by marking the sump, you will know when you need to add water for evaporation. )
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got it guys thanks, so you basically have to drill an overflow or something to get the water to the sump. I was under the impression from pics a saw you pumped water it to the sump
Old 12-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can get a siphon overflow that hangs on the side of the aquarium, but then you risk losing the siphon and flooding. I guess anytime we’ve got a box full of water in our house we risk flooding, but there are ways to at least mitigate the risk Drilling really isn’t that hard, get a set of diamond coated hole saws, make a template/guide, and keep it wet as you drill (and maybe wear earplugs).
Tacit Blues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:04 AM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Cpr makes a nice overflow with a nipple on it that lets you hook up an aqualifter pump to it. Prevents siphon loss. Loved mine.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Cpr makes a nice overflow with a nipple on it that lets you hook up an aqualifter pump to it. Prevents siphon loss. Loved mine.
Whats the price on something like that? I honestly dont mind drilling, Im a VERY handy guy. I just want to make sure Im doing it all right.

As for the tank full of water comment, yes, my 55 scares me to death honestly.
Plus between the power to run the heaters, filters, etc etc and just the energy for maintain it via the amount I get to see it (because its in a back room) its just not worth the effort.

As for the reef. Im thinking since my fish selection is so limited anyway I might as well go smaller and do a proper setup with a sump. Even If I go 20 but add another 20 as a sump its still WAY more water than the 29 I have with the amount of rock for bio filtration.
Plus Im learning my invert love way outclasses my fish love in the marine, I wish hers did to but shes terrified of almost every invert we have lol, though she LOVES our new condy anem. I KNOW I shouldnt have gotten one in a reef but I was able to manually place him somewhere he loves away from everything and I have been feeding him portions of food manually to keep him from moving and so far so good. He looks WAY better than he did in the pet store already!. Actually I also dont think their stings must be that bad, Ive actually seen my stupid green goby go rest inside it with no problem.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The overflows vary on size, but the aqualifter pumps are very cheap. I was replacing them every year as I used one for ATO and water changes.
If you are comfortable drilling, that is the best route. I'd have taken that over the HOB overflow all day long.

Tags
question, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com