Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sump question(s)...

Hey everyone.... So, I'm getting this itch to get started back up again on conquering the salty side and converting my 60 gallon fresh to a saltwater FOWLR tank to start and then jump into corals. In the meantime I'm still stuck on the freshie side. Anyway, my sump question... I bought a 20 gallon tank at Petco at the dollar sale a few months ago... And well, I don't know where to start. Is there a step by step method on how to go about doing it? Because I'm not to handy.... It's a project I really like to tackle but overwhelmed by the process... Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lots of videos on you tube and there's a site I believe it's called melev's reef that has a lot of info

Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbeast View Post
lots of videos on you tube and there's a site I believe it's called melev's reef that has a lot of info
Thank you kind sir. I will look it up when I get home.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I built my own once, then twice, then a third time so my best advise would be do as much research as you can and build it sturdy, the first time I tried to make it look good with the silicone all nicely done which ended up not being enough silicone and all the baffles that held back any substantial amount of water colapsed so next time I just piled it on. also as a side note use GE #1 silicone it's 100%silicone with no additives avoid bathroom or outdoor types as they have mold inhibitors that can effect the biology of your tank
Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbeast View Post
I built my own once, then twice, then a third time so my best advise would be do as much research as you can and build it sturdy, the first time I tried to make it look good with the silicone all nicely done which ended up not being enough silicone and all the baffles that held back any substantial amount of water colapsed so next time I just piled it on. also as a side note use GE #1 silicone it's 100%silicone with no additives avoid bathroom or outdoor types as they have mold inhibitors that can effect the biology of your tank
Was wondering what to use because the hardware stores near me didn't carry aquarium glue... I asked if I could use an other type and no one I asked there knew what I could use. So thank you! Will be picking up GE #1 silicone tonight! thanks for your help.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Skimmer suggestions for a 60 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump???

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com