Sump Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolee0722

Aquarium Advice Freak
For my first chamber before the protein skimmer, would I be able to put bioballs in? This would be in a sump refugium with copepod colonies. Also, if I can put in bioballs, would I be able to mix carbon, ceramic, and foam filled bioballs together and would this mix be better than just normal bioballs? I am trying to figure out the best way to design a sump, so please reply.

And I if I weren't to use bioballs, what would be a good type of filter for a sump refugium besides a protein skimmer?

So just a protein skimmer, live rock, live sand, cheato, and some copepods?

Also, since I'm going to be putting a refugium in my sump, do you still think I need a gfo and carbon reactor, or will the refugium be enough?

Also, since I'm going to be putting a refugium in my sump, do you still think I need a gfo and carbon reactor, or will the refugium be enough?

The equiptment you need really depends on your bioload. If you're keeping SPS corals, GFO is a good idea. You can have a second reactor for your carbon if you'd like. But it all depends on what you want to keep and how you feed etc.

I was thinking maybe addingin coral after a year or two, so I probably don't need to buy a gfo reactor till then. Also, would filter floss, carbon infused foam, and phosphate reducing foam be a good prefilter before my protein skimmer. After that would just be my refugium then return pump.

I would use a filter sock. Something you can change out easily and on a regular basis. I would have the filter sock and skimmer in the first chamber, then refugium in the second, then return area with pump in the 3rd.

What filter sock and filter sock holder would you recommend?

How big is this sump going to be? I made my own holders for 7" socks because it's important to me to turn them inside out and save all the life I can off of the sock before I toss it in the washer. If your sump is tight, you might have to go with a 4" sock.

I made mine out of plywood, using a jigsaw-
img_2635649_0_1c5e213f55fe2d2c87cda753b2c24720.jpg

The sump is going to be about 30-40 gallons. I plan to make the entire sump tank myself from scratch, so the dimensions can be whatever but it can't exceed 36 inches wide.

Back
Top Bottom