Sump Questions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
now i know most of you know that i have a 58gal with a 20gal sump... :D
Since i have asked so many questions and have had some AWESOME answers! But what im wondering is in my sump i have 3 sections, 1st one is overflow where the water from main tank comes into my sump, that is with bioballs, it then drains to my #2 section (middle part) this is where my skimmer is located, it the goes through a filter which i made of egg-crate and 100% polyester, into section #3 the return pump this is all that i have in my sump is there anything i should add for better filtration? My water now is crystal clear, but i just wanna make sure it stays that way :)

Well I would remove the bioballs and the polyester. Both of these will trap detrius then filter your water through it and create nitrates. If you do remove them, only remove a small amount at a time to avoid taking too much toll on your bioload.

why would you think i should get rid of the bio balls? i have a 58 gal with 50lbs live rock ? are the bioballs unimportant are they harming my sump? One thing i dont understand completely is why have a sump if theres no filtration down there?

A sump is a good place for equipment such as a skimmer and dosing/top off pump. It also makes water changes a snap by allowing you to put new water into the sump via gravity and pump it up to the main tank. A sump allows you to monitor/regulate water level better since it is more sensitive to water level changes. A sump needs no biofiltration or mechanical filtration to be helpful and beneficial.

I just have ChemiPure Bags (Chemical filtration) in my sump ... along with the skimmer, two heaters, my PH monitor probe & thermometer

well i have egg-grate and 100% polyester filter in there is that a good thing or not....should i remove it? I have 50lbs of live rock in a 58gal tank is that enough? and about 3inches of live sand any more suggestions?

In my humble opinion...I used to use a poly filter to remove nitrates from my change water...now I have a RO/DI filter. I used to use Poland Spring before that...my local water has nitrate and phosphate....I use the chemi pure as an extra....It's not neccesary...but in my opinion, beneficial

Back
Top Bottom