Sump recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPhilly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking about getting a sump customly made for my 210G tank. What would you recommend go in it?

What type of tank are you going to have? fish only or a full reef? If youre going reef you might be interested ion having a refugium section built in as well as a skimmer section. :)

What type of tank are you going to have? fish only or a full reef? If youre going reef you might be interested ion having a refugium section built in as well as a skimmer section. :)

Community reef tank

3 compartments. Intake with skimmer-refugium-return area. Make sure the intake area is large enough for a good sized skimmer and a 7" filter sock. The entire sump should be as large as you can fit in the stand if possible. If you wanted to add media reactors you could hang them on the side.

Any recommendations on the size with the tank being 210 gallons?

A sump can never be too big. It can be too small though. Again, I would make it as large as possible.

But won't most if that probably be solved if you use at least a RO unit of 5 stages?

I also am setting up a 210(225) reef. My question is shouldn't the protein skimmer go into the last chamber with the return pump? My lfs suggested this due to the refugium needing the nutrients that the skimmer would normally take out in the first stage.

No. You don't want another obstacle (there is already the return pump) that the pods have to navigate in order to reach the display.
Your LFS puts too much faith in protein skimmers. They don't clean the water that well. Your refugium will have plenty of nutrients.

No. You don't want another obstacle (there is already the return pump) that the pods have to navigate in order to reach the display.
Your LFS puts too much faith in protein skimmers. They don't clean the water that well. Your refugium will have plenty of nutrients.

I'm not sure if the taitronic light you recommended to me will work because I have a canopy stand.

It will work. You can cut rectangular holes in the top of the canopy, and sit the lights on top. Or, you can hang them from the top on the inside if you have room.

I'll try to get 3 since my tank is 6'x2'x30". Is there a controller I need to put them on a dimming cycle?

You definitely need 3. There are controllable models, but I just have mine on regular old timers. The basic units have knobs on top of the fixture that you can adjust color and power with.

I was kind of wanting to replicate the daylight and moonlight cycle.

Ok. Then you will need some light to use as moonlight. I found blue LED Christmas lights on amazon that work great as moonlights for 5 bucks or so. Any dim light will do.

Back
Top Bottom