Sump/Refugium for 150g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SloTh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was looking into a DIY, but decided I could buy one cheaper after calling to get quotes on the Acrylic (locally 1 sheet 4x8 = $95.00).

I then started searching and found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/150-Gallon-Aqua...1QQcmdZViewItem

I was wondering if anyone has bought from these guys or has this Sump/Refugium? Would you recommend this system? Do you have any recommendations for anything better? I am going to ask them to mod this a bit to make the refugium longer.

My tank is 150g w/ dual built in overflows. Thanks for the assistance.

Nope it is a: 200 Gallon Protein Skimmer Catalina Aquarium

Anybody know if this is anygood?

pick up a used tank and make your own sump. I just got a 30 long and made a sump / fuge from that. Not sure about that skimmer, I don't know anyone who has one and have not read anything on them. A good skimmer will run you $200+++, so it probably is not a real good one.

OK., I actually bought the exact refugium from these guys. First you need to read their feedback column and think about if you wish to take the chance. They have more negative feedback than anybody I've seen on ebay. The product was as advertised but delivered with no instructions, and no direction as to which return pump works best for the skimmer and which for the return. No big deal. The specs were wrong, it was a big deal, we had planned the support columns for the tank stand according to their specs and had to remove the tank and move one of the support columns to fit the fuge. Fortunately we had over compensated on the support features so all it did in the long run was make one of the door openings smaller on the inside, finally the skimmer was broke on arrival, due to their reputation on their feedback file we opted to fix the skimmer rather than deal with them. I paid them the day of sale and left a positive feedback except for a complaint about the specs, it's been 3 months and they will not leave me a feedback. These guys are petty at best and I had decided I would not do buisness with them again. As I said the product is good and I am very satisfied but just try to make an informed decision concerning customer service. Good Luck

wow, I have asked them about 15 (probably stupid) questions since yesterday, and the guy has replied within about 10 minutes each time answering my questions. I am surprised to hear this about them. Don't get me wrong, I believe you. I talked to them about building me a custom with the following specs: 48x15x16 total with the intake 12x15x10, buble trap, then return 20x15x9, and then refug 14x15x10. I decided against the skimmer and would only get the sump/refuge from them. They told me it would take 3 days to build and would ship the 3rd day. If I understand you though, you were happy with the product itself?

Also, what does everybody think about the above custom sized sump/refuge? I have a 150g tank that I intend to have mostly coral w/ some fish.

ckmn, I saw those sumps as well, and contacted him about making the custom. Basically, he could do the same thing for the same price, but the Ebay guys were 3 days till ship and he is 4 weeks.

I just found this store, and requested a quote. Will let you know what they tell me: http://www.jmkdisplays.com/sumprefugium.html
Anybody heard of them?

Once the macro algae gets established the skimmer really does'nt have that much work to do. As for the product, I have been very happy and feel I made the right choice. Once I saw, what was actually involved in building the refug, next time I will build my own it's cheaper and you have more control with exactly what you want. All it is is 2 sets of 2 panes of glass siliconed into place. One pane from the top about 2/3 the depth of the tank, the other from the bottom up with about a 3/4 inch overlap spaces roughly 1/2 inch apart so the water can travel to each compartment freely forming the 3 compartments. The DIY specs are more exact but I hope this gives you an idea on how easy it is. As for the seller like I said read his feedback and decide from there. I was'nt as annoyed some, but also not as pleased as others, but displeased enough to not get my lights from him.
Good luck in your choice.

newlywed04 said:
Once the macro algae gets established the skimmer really does'nt have that much work to do..
This is not true at all... If it was that easy everyone would have a large fuge and no skimmer and save hundreds.. Not sure where you get your info from..

Back
Top Bottom