Sump/ refugium help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dizzydea

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry I know this is a salty forum but I'm trying to get some help and no one has posted on my thread. I think sumps might be out of the fresh realm.

My tank was originally salt water from a Previous owner. I want to convert it to a fresh water tank with a refudgium. So it's my first experience with a sump and I'm confused. Why are there 3 pipes for water to come out of? I have some plastic grid and I'm wanting to build a filter media basket holder but I don't know where to put it. Here is my sump.

Attachments

• image-563955941.jpg
    image-563955941.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 110
This is what I'm trying to build but I'm not sure how it's going to work, how would I get it out to change the filter media with the pipes being so low. I'm assuming that it will go in the last chamber.

Attachments

• image-2355660056.jpg
    image-2355660056.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 107
This is what I'm trying to build but I'm not sure how it's going to work, how would I get it out to change the filter media with the pipes being so low. I'm assuming that it will go in the last chamber.

Does the pvc off return pumpl left go over to the chamber on right?

You'll probably want to re-plumb some of that to suit your needs.

but I'll take a stab at guessing what he had... two overflows from the display... one primary and one a backup in case the primary clogged?
As for the 3rd drain... does it come from the display tank?... or is it just a split-off from one of the other overflow pipes? (I'll GUESS that it's a split and was just to create a desired flow into a specific chamber of the sump.)

How about a new pic aimed a bit higher up so we can see the plumbing better. Now we just see the ends

Here is another pic, the small pipe that goes to the last chamber comes off the line attached to the pump.

Attachments

• image-3758724876.jpg
    image-3758724876.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 132
  • image-352667677.jpg
    image-352667677.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 97
Not sure if this helps but here is a pic from the top of the tank. Plumbing isn't exactly something I know anything about so if I can I'd like to leave the plumbing as is.

Attachments

• image-27985796.jpg
    image-27985796.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 95
Yep... The designer had the refugium in the far right side... But he didn't want 100% of the flow going through the ref, so he tapped a line off the return to provide a controlled flow of freshly filtered water into the refugium. (The valve allows you to control exactly how much flow it gets.)

The drain going into the right side of the center box was the main drain... The one on the left side is the secondary/backup drain (taller standpipe in the display tank)... The center box is where the filter media/live rock would be; would be crowded, but that's where I'd put a skimmer too. (Or a HOB skimmer on the side of the sump would leave more room for LR in the sump.)

If that set-up suits your needs/tastes then no need to change anything.

Yep... The designer had the refugium in the far right side... But he didn't want 100% of the flow going through the ref, so he tapped a line off the return to provide a controlled flow of freshly filtered water into the refugium. (The valve allows you to control exactly how much flow it gets.)

The drain going into the right side of the center box was the main drain... The one on the left side is the secondary/backup drain (taller standpipe in the display tank)... The center box is where the filter media/live rock would be; would be crowded, but that's where I'd put a skimmer too. (Or a HOB skimmer on the side of the sump would leave more room for LR in the sump.)

If that set-up suits your needs/tastes then no need to change anything.

Yep kinda how i have mine control flow thru fugi

Ah hah now it all makes sense! You guys are awesome thanks for the help! But when filling my tank which do I fill first the sump or the tank?

In theory it would be easiest to fill the display and then when it's full, it will start to drain into the sump and fill THAT. (Well... Don't FILL the sump, you need to leave enough empty volume for your tank to drain to the level of the overflows in the event of a power failure!)

But if lifting the water (buckets?) high enough to fill the main tank is a problem, you could fill the sump, then let the return pump fill the display tank... You'll just have to keep adding water to the sump... Fast enough to keep the pump covered, but slow enough that you don't overflow the sump.
In fact, having the bucket elevated just barely above the sump would allow you to just use a hose and siphon from the bucket into the sump... No lifting/pouring required!)

In the future, you can probably handle all water changes and top-offs through the sump.

I have the same type of drain setup, although a different sump. That drain can be completely silent which is great. You start with the main gate valve wide open then close it bit by bit till the water level climbs to the secondary drain and just starts to overflow the level will stabilize. There is no flow when tuned just right.

I have a python, I did the bucket thing with my 55g now never again! So fill the main tank while filling the sump with I guess a bucket (spoke to soon!) ?

How do you quiet the sump intake? It's so noisy sucking water down!!!!!

To make it quieter the larger drain should be about 1" higher than the lower gated drain. Slowly close the gate valve until the water level rises and just starts to flow into the higher pipe. When tweaked just right the system makes no noise.

Never mind I fixed it thanks for inspiring me I just turned the drain flow down so the water is about an inch above the drain. I was to scared to mess with it before!

Back
Top Bottom