Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sump Related Questions

I'm planning on my first sump and it'll be a 10g sump for my 36g tank, but I have some unclear information / questions I need first.

1. Does the overflow need to be 10 x tank volume or 5 x tank volume, EX. 36g+10g sump = 46g so 460gph

2. Will this be good water movement: return pipe will be in the back top right corner and will be split into two direction ( forward and along the back wall). A PH will probably be placed in the back bottom left corner pointing 45 degrees up.

3. Should the bubble trap be before, after, or both ends of the fuge.

4. Which sump set up is better: skimmer > fuge > return vs. skimmer > return >return pipe tee'd off into fuge > fuge into return

5. Is pvc better than clear tubing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Couldn't help you on a pump size for that size tank, and the bubble trap should go after your skimmer, wherever you choose to put it. Some have their skimmer before the fuge, and some after. PVC is preferred to tubing. Hope this helps a little.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

All very good questions. I'm planning my own sump for my 55gal. Sorry I can't help. But def tagging along to get some answers.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Google sump designs for a 10 gallon and you will get some good information.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
Couldn't help you on a pump size for that size tank, and the bubble trap should go after your skimmer, wherever you choose to put it. Some have their skimmer before the fuge, and some after. PVC is preferred to tubing. Hope this helps a little.
Any information is useful. When using PVC, would the flow rate be different when using a 90 degrees elbow vs. two 45 degrees turn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubernaculum86 View Post
All very good questions. I'm planning my own sump for my 55gal. Sorry I can't help. But def tagging along to get some answers.
Glad my thread could help others
Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm following too, in the middle of sump buying right now. LOL
Old 05-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would use spaflex or another flexible tubing for return from sump. it will cut down on head loss and if you ever have to move something, it moves quite easily- no unscrewing or sawing pipes apart.
clear tubing will grow a lot of algae in it. it won't be clear for very long.
a length of pool hose is fine for drain.

i like the refugium after the skimmer but before the return section. any pods will have an easier time making their way to the dt, not having to go through the skimmer section.

i put the bubble trap after the refugium and before the return section.

the overflow and return pumps need to be strong enough to power whatever mechanical filtration you have in the sump. in other words, if you have a skimmer with a 400 gph pump on it, you will need at least 400 gph for it to work efficiently. i would not use the return pump for flow in the dt. more than likely, you'll just be battling a micro bubble issue.

finally, i would have more than 1 power head in the dt. if you are concerned with aesthetics, buck up for a single vortech mp 40.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com