Sump-return

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevinalewis

Aquarium Advice Regular
How does everyone out there plumb there return pump back into the tank? I have a few options and would like everyone's opinions on what works best and why. I have PVC that enters the tank and is capped off at end with several drilled holes in it, or I have a piece that diffuses the water back out into the tank but it only will go a few inches under the surface of the water. It's shaped like a v where the water comes out and u can direct the flow. Any opinions or suggestions. Thanks.

These are my two options.

Attachments

• image-3687589242.jpg
    image-3687589242.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3324107235.jpg
    image-3324107235.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 82
i use the nozzle you can direct, so you can use it for flow as well. the other would seem like it would greatly restrict return flow. i'd rather do that with a ball valve. just be sure to drill a hole just below the water line on either of those so they don't back siphon much water in the event of a power outage.

Thanks for your help! I'm going to go with the one I can direct flow with. You say drill the siphon break hole below the water line? Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Yea this way only a little siphons out of the tank before it starts to get air and breaks the siphon. The deeper the siphon break is in the water the more water will siphon out before it sucks in air = overflowing sump

Back
Top Bottom