Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sump Return Plumbing Question

I'm working on setting up my first system with a sump and I'm having some difficulties with the return.
My main tank is a 75 Gal with a drilled overflow on the back of the tank. I have the overflow working fine with a 1 1/2" drain that's running into a 30 gallon tank. My LFS recommended a 950 GPH mag-drive pump for a return. The return comes up about 2' so this in theory should reduce the pressure to about 800 GPH. I have the return pump connected to flexible 1" tubing and here lies a couple of problems...

1) The flow coming back in through the return is quite high and stirs up the tank. I've tried directing the flow towards the front of the glass which helps but it's still quite a bit of pressure. What's the best way to run the return into the tank? Is the return too strong perhaps? I was thinking of adding a control valve and reduce the flow but I don't think that's a good idea as it could overwork the pump. Perhaps I should get some type of PVC to direct the flow into the tank but I'm not sure what type of setup would work best for this situation.

2) What is the best way to secure this plumbing within the tank?.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

jimmysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Use a tee and a ball valve to get the proper flow return into you Display tank.
Ball valves are use to direct or redirect flow, not so mush to restrict flow. I try not to restrict flow from the pump. This should always be wide open (saves wear and tear on the pump, along with heat issues). Teeing the return line back into the sump will reduce flow back in to the display tank. Thus reducing the overall flow through the sump.
Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote

plumbing, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com