sump return questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
My question is somewhat related to starting a new tank with sump. In case of a power outage and the power comes back, won't the main tank overflow when the return pump kicks in? This takes into account a HOB overflow, not a built-in of course. How would someone avoid this catastrophic event?

No, the main tank would be fine. It's the sump you have to worry about.

Your main tank will back flow till it reaches the overflow line. As mentioned above you need to make sure you have space for the backflow or drill a little hole in the return nozzle to break the siphon. I have room in my refuge/sump so I dont need the hole to break the siphon.

Not sure if I'm phrasing it properly. I am under the impression that when using a HOB overflow box, the siphon is broken when power cuts off and water back flows into the sump via the return outlet.

The actual question is:
When the power comes back on and the return pump starts filling the main tank again, will water OVER flow from the main tank since the initial siphon in the HOB overflow box is lost?

I'm considering getting the CPR overflow box, but can't get my logic working. This will only work if the siphon is never broken when power is lost. That way, when the return pump starts filling the tank, the gradient is restored and no overflow occurs.

Maybe I should just invest in a tank with a drilled overflow...grr...

For seven years when I had my 55 I had a HOB overflow and no even when the power is out and the backlow returns to the sump the siphon is not broken. The HOB has a little well in the back part keeping air from getting in your J tube and as long as air does not get in there you`ll still have the siphon or vacuum. JME

That helps, but I think the CPR doesn't use a tube. Do the principles of the tube follow? This is the link to the one I'm contemplating purchasing.

CPR Overflow Box

Yes that one is a little different. Maybe someone with some experience can share.

yea i use the same one as melosu58 did and it has worked great plus its not to expensive i have not had any problem out of it at all and there as been a few power faliures it just starts flowing again once power is restored

Well, if you guys have had good experience with it, I'll pick that up instead. I'll probably run a Mag 5. At around 4 feet, it should give me the 300 GPH to prevent overflow. Do you guys also just use clear vinyl tubing (and what size)? Do I need a diverter valve?

Thanks for all the help by the way. Been wanting to do this for awhile, but never an opportune time.

Just a thought here aquazen. Take a look at that overflow you posted. I believe I see a small port on the top of the siphon "tube". I know it is not an actual tube, but it is the same principle. I believe the intent of that tube is to hook it to the suction of a pump, or the port of a power head that would otherwise be used to suck air into the powerhead for making bubbles. That way if you lose your prime when the power goes out, it (the air) will be sucked out and everything will return to normal.

I have never used this kind of overflow, but it seems to me to be a good backup strategy. Even if your overflow does not normally lose prime, it never hurts to be prepared.

HTH

I saw that too, but I thought it was just for priming. Not sure how it would work if it was hooked constantly to a pump. I suppose that if the power went out and went back on, the return would start filling up the HOB overflow, and the "priming pump" would also turn back on, re-priming the overflow box.

Now the bottom line is, is it worth $50 more than the other one melosu pointed out? And how much is a priming pump? The one's on Dr. Foster's are close to $100. :( Definitely less expensive to just get a thin vinyl tubing to prime the old fashioned way.

I think I'm just going to get the CPR one with the aqualift pump. If it works well, I'll make sure to tell you guys about it (especially if it does NOT work well). Thanks for all the input.

Back
Top Bottom