Sump set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizzbit101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can any body help me plz what is the best way to set the water level on a sump cuz I'm having a lot of trouble gettin it right its always too much or to little I can not get it right ?

How are you going about setting the water level? How is your sump constructed? A picture would be helpful.

I made the sump my self out of a old fish tank.
It's got three compartments first ones got my skimmer in with the water flow going over the divider on to the sponges an live rock then the water goes under the second divider .
Iv got the side that comes into the sump gravity fed with a pump at the other side pumping out and I can control the both of them just can never get them right . Thanks for the message back.

You need to open the drain up completely, and adjust the flow via the return pump. The drain will never drain more than you are pumping up to the display. All evaporation will happen in the sump, so you will definitely need to top off regularly to avoid water level fluctuations in the refugium/live rock area, since you have nothing to keep the water level in that compartment stable. If you had the water flowing OVER the last partition, this would correct that.

Got ya do u think if I took the last divider out an set it the same as the first one it would work a lot better and thanks again u have been a big help.

Well, it will keep the water level in the live rock compartment stable, but you may have a problem with micro bubbles making their way up to the display with either design. Most put a series of over and under partitions before the return area to limit this. Do you have room to add a couple more partitions about an inch or so away from each other, after the live rock compartment?

I haven't got the space u see I got a corner tank so i am very limited with what I can do the tank that Iv turned in to the sump is only about 1 foot so it's very tight . It's the only one that would fit under the tank lol. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom