Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sump set-up question

Hi, I have a 46 gal tank, no drill, just plain tank. Id like to incorporate a sump system into it, I may or may not go w/reef, but want it anyway. Never done this before. My question is, is it possible?, & also, how to go about doing it? Is there such thing as a "sump start up kit"? I don't know really where to begin. On the internet there is just such an overwhelming amount of details that I cant make sense of it, ya know. Thanks for advice.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
There are two ways you can go, one is a HOB overflow, which works by siphon. The other is by drilling the tank and installing a bulkhead and whatever type of drain you like, which will then work by gravity. I prefer the latter.
Drill the tank and install a glass holes overflow-
Aquarium overflow box 700gph

This kit in the link comes with everything you need, even the drill bit.

A sump is basically just a remote container of water. What you want it to do will dictate how you will need to build it. A standard glass tank can make a fine sump pretty easily.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Make sure the panel you going to drill is not tempered glass
Old 12-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks much, I'm prob going to go w/siphon sump, I have a Fluval 406 & a skimmer, so a siphon sump even though not as good as the drilled, I'm hoping will be fine. My next tank I purchase will def be an actual salt water tank. Appreciate the info thanks again.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use a cpr overflow, and I m happy with it,but 2 weeks ago the aqualifter broke due to a power outage and for 2 days had no circulation.... I was away at the time, so make sure you always have a spare aqualifter with you.... But IMO if you have the opportunity to drill the tank, I suggest you to go that way, just my 2 cent....

Tags
question, set-up, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com