Sump set-up question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ant1862

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 46 gal tank, no drill, just plain tank. Id like to incorporate a sump system into it, I may or may not go w/reef, but want it anyway. Never done this before. My question is, is it possible?, & also, how to go about doing it? Is there such thing as a "sump start up kit"? I don't know really where to begin. On the internet there is just such an overwhelming amount of details that I cant make sense of it, ya know. Thanks for advice. :)

There are two ways you can go, one is a HOB overflow, which works by siphon. The other is by drilling the tank and installing a bulkhead and whatever type of drain you like, which will then work by gravity. I prefer the latter.
Drill the tank and install a glass holes overflow-
Aquarium overflow box 700gph

This kit in the link comes with everything you need, even the drill bit.

A sump is basically just a remote container of water. What you want it to do will dictate how you will need to build it. A standard glass tank can make a fine sump pretty easily.

Make sure the panel you going to drill is not tempered glass

Thanks much, I'm prob going to go w/siphon sump, I have a Fluval 406 & a skimmer, so a siphon sump even though not as good as the drilled, I'm hoping will be fine. My next tank I purchase will def be an actual salt water tank. Appreciate the info thanks again.

I use a cpr overflow, and I m happy with it,but 2 weeks ago the aqualifter broke due to a power outage and for 2 days had no circulation.... I was away at the time, so make sure you always have a spare aqualifter with you.... But IMO if you have the opportunity to drill the tank, I suggest you to go that way, just my 2 cent....

Back
Top Bottom