Sump setup..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it ok to use plexiglass in the sump for the plates? Or should I use actual glass?

Also I am going to eventually set up for reef.

58G display and 20G sump. What equipment do I need? Suggestions? Trying to do it on a budget here.

Skimmer? pumps? powerheads? heaters? etc... Thanks!

these r for the sump:
Skimmer, I use remora, the one that up to 70gal, I love it.
pumps, I have via aqua for return pump
heaters: just get a nice one put in to the sump.

these r for the tank:
powerhead: Hydoe 2, u might wanna get a 3 or 4 but with a sump, u can use PVC and direct the water in different way back to the tank to create flow.
light: Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 6X39 Watt, 36 inch, I don't have it yet, ppl in here suggested to me. they said with this u can keep wider assortment of SPS, if u want more different corals, will probably need to find another light.

People are telling me I need MH lighting cause the tank is 20" deep. Also I was looking for like what size powerheads and stuff to get. Thanks for all the info though!

my tank is 20" deep too
if u r going for coral that need strong light, then yes MH.
cuz I m just going to coral that need ok light XD
what do u mean by wt size? u mean how many gph that powerhead can produce? the one I have can produce i think 350 gph.

I will take some picture tmr, that might help ^^

Cool thanks! Im just wondering what size equipment I need for my size tank you know.

You can use plexiglass, however the silicone wont bond well if at all. Glass is just as cheap and very easy to use. Just get a good glass cutting set to cut it. Home depot has pictureframe glass which worked perfect for my 40g sump.

The type of powerheads will depend on the type of corals you keep. If you keep Small polyp stony corals you will want a much higher turnover than large polyp stony corals. Koralia's are a very well known and used powerhead. They are not to expensive but the one you need will depend on the corals you keep.

You can use metal halides or T5HO. T5 will allow mostly any coral although some may need to be placed higher up. The nova extreme fixtures are a common recomendation.

For a skimmer, Always go bigger than you need, incase of overfeeding or upgrading. Octopus skimmers

As far as heaters go, you want 4-5Watts per gallon on average. This depends on the room temperature. I would suggest 2X150W heaters.

Back
Top Bottom