Sump Setup Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would skip the sand with that setup and just use a bunch of rock at the bottom with macroalgae on top.

Yeah he had it posted for about 5 weeks for $100. I offered him 40. Then I picked up the skimmer and 2 pumps for 70

Yeah he had it posted for about 5 weeks for $100. I offered him 40. Then I picked up the skimmer and 2 pumps for 70

That's awesome, nice set up for great money. I am jealous! Craigslist was my best friend when setting up my tank!

The return nozzle that's inside the display, will back siphon if the power goes out until it is no longer submerged. You either want this as close to the surface as possible, or drill a little hole in it just under the water surface. in the event of a power outage, this hole will breack the back siphon before your sump overflows.

Perfect, I will do right above the water level. Also should I stain the inside of my cabinet? To seal it up...

I don't think sealing it is necessary, but it might help. Don't know if I mentioned this before or if you already have all the stuff in, but if you can put a tarp under the sump that definitely do it. I'm glad I did because there have been spills and salt creep that would damage the wood or floor underneath.

Thanks oreef! I will buy a small tarp. I just don't want the inside of my cabinet to get all nasty from evaporation.

Does this look ok for my inlet chamber? Of course my sock holder needs to be smaller. Also I have 3 bags or bio rings in my current fluidized bed filter that I'll be adding. Or should I eliminate the balls and rings all together? I figured since my second chamber will have macro algae, they wouldn't hurt.

image-2512096835.jpg

Overflow looks like my Eshopps box. Maybe the sticker came off on yours. The first chamber looks good, but bioballs are nitrate factories. You can keep them, but they usually trap detritus and cause some problems. How big is your inlet chamber?

Well in that case I'll get rid of them. Just thought the more things I had to trap bb the better. Chamber is 12 wide by 16 deep. Water level will be about 14.5" high. I had to put a couple filter sponges under my skimmer to raise it up. Will that work?

You can build a little platform out of light diffusing material people in this hobby call "eggcrate". You can use zip ties to hold it together. You want the skimmer to be in about 10" of water.
Kinda like this one...
img_2286567_0_d333f1b6ba40445f71847c887c4525a7.jpg

Home depot calls it egg crate too. It's the plastic squared covers for large fluorescent lights commonly found in commercial and school settings.

Back
Top Bottom