Sump Setup Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, that would give you a clearer idea about how it's working than using freshwater. You'll still need that gasket but I'd still run that test.

It's making plenty of bubbles, that's for sure. If I remember correctly, there are 2 knobs on the front of that thing to adjust air and water.

There are 2 dials. Looks like they adjust the flow of water. The bubbles have subsided. Should the canister fill with water too?

The reaction chamber should be full of air and water. lots of bubbles. Adjust it so the water and bubble height is right at the bottom of the cup. You can fine tune it later.

In a pinch you may be able to make a makeshift seal out of Teflon tape or a rubber band while you wait for the gasket to come in. Won't be the same though.

Looks like a beast!

I'm going to try Home Depot first. If I can't find anything I'll try to order online. It's a super old model, so I'm not too sure if they still sell parts.

I also have this skimmer. Not too sure about using it. Like many people know, I'm new to the whole thing. Not quite sure what these 3 lines go to? I know this 5/8 goes to pump, but this ribbed one with a red valve? And this smaller ribbed one is coming off of collection canister. Thought on which one to use...

image-2258523607.jpg

Attachments

• image-2117219935.jpg
    image-2117219935.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 78
The turbofloater is 10 times the skimmer that coralife skimmer is. Those turbofloaters take time to get dialed in, but eventually, you'll be skimming well.

mr_X said:
The turbofloater is 10 times the skimmer that coralife skimmer is. Those turbofloaters take time to get dialed in, but eventually, you'll be skimming well.

I'll back you up on that. I've used three models of turbofloaters and they all worked well. One was about as tall as me!

Your pump will put the water and air in uninterrupted. Then the outflow goes out the valve and the more you close it, the more back pressure there is so the higher the bubbles go in the skimmer. That is the valve you tweak to get just the right amount of bubbles to overflow into the cup. If you don't empty your cup enough and it gets full, it will go out the other small tube back into the sump. Many put a hose on that into a bucket.

So I went Lowes today to pick up a couple bulk heads. The idiot there didn't know what I was talking about. Finally I found some. They were a cream color and only 3/4 inch. Would that work if I'm running 1.25" PVC. I'd just bush up....

No way. you do not want to restrict your drains to 3/4". get the correct bulkheads for your tank. If they are 1.25", then you need a 1.25" bulkhead.
what is wrong with the overflow box exactly? You could probably just use aquarium silicone to seal it up.

The front lip that screws to actual slotted box broke when I was drilling holes. I cut it off. I cut a new piece and re-drilled holes. Now I brew to glue it back.

image-1066476626.jpg

Back
Top Bottom