Sump Setup Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good so far, this thread has helped me understand more what to do with my set up. Hope you get everything working okay - following along!

Nice. Glad it's helped others! Good luck with yours too. In not trying to rush, taking things slow. I'm planning in ordering a new return this week. Not too sure, in looking at the mag 12...

I bought a 700gph pump with a 3/4'' return. I'm going to try it out and take it from there, I didn't want to spend so much on a mag 7,9 or 12...

Be very careful choosing what electrical/mechanical devices you are planning on submerging in your tank water for extended periods. I don't know why people buy vortechs and expensive LED lighting, then use rio or no-name pumps. Just thinking out loud here....

Ok, another question that I have; when doing my weekly-bi weekly water changes I usually do 25-30 gallons. I simply pump water out of dt and slower fill it back up with mixed water. How do you do water changes when having a sump? Might sound like a stupid question, but I'm just trying to understand. Thx

My sumps are big enough so that I can drain and fill them and conduct my water change without lowering the water level and disrupting things inside the display. Yours may not be large enough to pull 30 gallons from. You are going to need to shut down the return pump and then change out your water. If you don't do this, the sump will run dry while you are working and you may damage the return pump.

Here it is. I didn't realize how close the hole were going to be, so I'm going to brace it with this 1/2" piece of square tube.

image-2126399833.jpg

Attachments

• image-3379408249.jpg
    image-3379408249.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 99
You'd be ok not to brace it. There isn't much force on the socks that would break that.

Look what came in the mail today! Sorry if I'm a little excited, but I haven't been able to find these at any of my local hardware stores. Do I install with the rubber inside overflow or outside?

image-3307201213.jpg

Back
Top Bottom