Sump Setup Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So our topics within this thread are all over the place. When people refer to rock as cured... What does that mean? Has anyone purchased base rock from dryrockusa.com?

Cured rock usually has been set in the sun for a few weeks and rinsed off really well to get all the old algae and any other bacteria on it off. Cured rock is good for base rock then you put 2-3 pieces of live in there to get the bacteria growing and help the cycle.

That's dead rock, not cured rock. I believe cured rock is a term people use for rock that's been cycled already. You do not need any uncured rock to get a cycle going if you have all cured rock. you should be able to skip the cycle, or most of it, depending on how it was transferred from one tank to another.

Base rock meaning what? Some consider base rock to be dry pieces with no color or life on them. I think this is incorrect also.
Base rock is rock that has very little character. Round, boulder-type pieces that you would use as the "base" of your pile and cover with the nicer stuff. If you are referring to that, I would have to ask what condition is this rock in.
Is it from an established system? If so, then no, you aren't going o get a cycle if the transport doesn't have it out of the water for very long.
Is it uncured/un-cycled? then yes, you should have a substantial spike with 100 pounds of uncured rock.
In that case, I would cycle it in a separate container. A plastic tub with a heater and power head for a few weeks/month will be fine.

I would put it in a tub and wait a few days and see what the water reads, but theoretically, it shouldn't cause a spike if there is nothing dead on it.

Keep it where if the return pump fails and it back siphons it doesn't over fill the sump. That's how you determine how full it should be

Unplug the pump and see where the water back siphons to in the sump. If it finishes 8" from the top then you can add a little water. If it gets too close to overfilling for comfort then a little less water is advisable.

You drill a small hole just below water level. Apps a 1/4 inch or so. This way it will suction a bit but not much. Once it hits the hole it sucks air an say goodbye to siphon.

So I'm finally going to start plumbing my sump. How long should I wait between glueing and starting water flow?

I would wait till morning but that's me if you need it running sooner it should be fine. Read the can sets in like 20 cures in ?

I'm going to glue everything accept for overflows tonite. Is primer necessary? Tomorrow I will remove my hob and canister and add my overflows. Should I add my filter pad and my bio rings to my sump for a few weeks?

No primer. Yes Rings won't hurt, pads depends how dirty. I still have my hob on for like four months, some say leave it for 6 months some say it's not needed at all. I play it safe and as long as its not hurting nothing it's fine IMO.

So tonite I found out that my sump will not fit through the doors on stand. Ugh! Time to regroup and figure out how to make this work.

Back
Top Bottom