Sump Setup Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh gotcha! What's miracle mud. I remember you mentioned it previously.

It is a substrate (specifically a refugium substrate) that contains trace minerals that are beneficial to a reef tank. Some people like it others don't like it. It all depends on taste, quite like much stuff in the saltwater hobby!

The name pretty much says what it is. Will there be any problems by not having a chamber between my return and refugium?

Hmm... I don't know, I put one in because it will stop microbubbles from the skimmer from entering the tank

Well I do have a bubble trap between to 2 chambers. Do I need to have anything into return chamber other than my return pump?

Well I do have a bubble trap between to 2 chambers. Do I need to have anything into return chamber other than my return pump?

Probably not... but all of sumps I have seen(not too many) have a bubble trap. I like mine because you can force water like a reactor through gfo and carbon. I have 2 sponges angled towards the middle where I have a bag of carbon. It works for me! My water is clean: )

I read an article years ago where the writer analyzed miracle mud, and the result was that there was nothing in it to suggest it was from the ocean. Mine had man-made shiny things and pieces of what resembled red brick in it. It's from someone's back yard IMO.

I read an article years ago where the writer analyzed miracle mud, and the result was that there was nothing in it to suggest it was from the ocean. Mine had man-made shiny things and pieces of what resembled red brick in it. It's from someone's back yard IMO.

I don't mind if it's not from the ocean if it is beneficial to my tank! Haha

I don't mind if it's not from the ocean if it is beneficial to my tank! Haha
But why spend 70 bucks or so a pound when you can grab a hand full of mud from the back yard and toss it in?
My point is, it's not necessary. I haven't used it in about 10 years and I'm not seeing the deficiency.

But why spend 70 bucks or so a pound when you can grab a hand full of mud from the back yard and toss it in?
My point is, it's not necessary. I haven't used it in about 10 years and I'm not seeing the deficiency.

True, my local lfs had one that was 25 dollars so I got it... they said it was the same thing...they use it in their display coral tank and I was wowed ( is that a word? Haha). I know they dose calcium and everything but it was 25 bucks and I wanted to try it... what is your substrate in your refugium Mr. X?

Ah gotcha... how is your tank doing?how big is it? Did you make that 800 Gallon in wall tank?

It's a 40 gallon sump

Then I say you have room to give up 3 inches for a bubble trap. You don't need much room for your 3rd chamber... mine is only 6 inches in length. The best advice I have is know what equipment (and demensions of the equipment) you want in the tank before you make the sump.

Sump is already built. I can install another chamber tho... I picked it up for a whopping $40.

I am guessing the water will enter the left side where the hole is correct? Then travel to the right? There is a bubble trap it looks like on the right side

Yup the first chamber on left will have my sock and skimmer, then off to the refugium, the bubble trap, and at last the return.

Back
Top Bottom