sump setup Questions PLZ help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a 20 gal sump setup, and i have NO live sand or LR in the sump, but what im woundering is whats the best way to setup a sump for filtering. Im running it with a 58gal tank. I have seen many sumps with plants/live sand/LR inside....Im just wondering if i should do that or if its fine the way its setup now. I have my protein skimmer, a few bioballs, heater and thats all. What is considered filter media? What should i add? Any suggestions would be GREAT! thanks

Bioballs would be filter media. Live or dead rock would be filter media. Live or dead sand would be filter media.

the plants you see in the sump is more than likly a form of macro algae. Unless you have seen mangrove plants growing. Some use mangrove plants to help with nutrient export.

What kinds of macro-algae are there that i could use? And is it nescessary to have them, what kind of benefits do you get from them? Also if i would have plants in the sump would i need lighting on the sump? Dead sand what exactly is that, i have a 5gal pail full of live sand might be dead ? Would it be a good idea for me to have algae in the sump, people told me that i should get rid of the bioballs....whats your thoughts?

Dead sand is simply a term used to describe any type of sand other than the product sold as 'live' sand. Dead sand would be in a bag and packaged dry. There would be no benifical bactera living in the sand.

The algae is used to export excess nutrients. Most of the time what the macro algae uses for food is the same nutrients that the undesirable alage use. Growing desirable alage is much better than having undesirable. Its not a requirment to have them at all. If you do put algae in the sump yes it would need light as its photosynthetic.

If the 5 gal pail of sand has been kept wet and covered in saltwater and also has not gotten to cold then it might be alive. Now if the bucket is full I worry about the sand deeper than a few inches below the surface. If its alive then that area would have gotten oxygen deprived and all of the nitrification bactera would have died off. If the bucket has sense forth dried out then you can consiter the sand dead or dieing. A quick smell of the bucket will tell ya. If it smells foul then the sand bed is dieing.

thanks a bunch ff. You da man! 8) your cool. Thanks for all the info what would be sufficent light im using a 20gal long tank for sump, im thinking of using my dead sand for substrate for them, although it will only have to be a small light considering its only about 1/2 the 20gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom