Sump size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guinness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi. I have just ordered my new tank and wanted to ask a few questions.
The tank size is 48x30x24 the tank is being custom built and I am also having a custom made cabinet. The tank is going in the living room onto a concrete floor with wood laminate on top.

I need to know what size return pump I will need, what size sump I will need and what size skimmer I will need.

Any help and advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks.

Congrats on the the new tank. Those are nice dimensions.
For return pump you could do a mag 9
Sump a 40 breeder would be good.
As for skimmers I like the Reef Octopus cone skimmers

I have the sro2000xp cone on my 150 and does a great job.

Your skimmer size will depend on what you are planning to do with your tank. Are you planning reef or fowlr? Heavily stocked or lightly stocked? Predatory fish or peaceful fish? It is typically recommended to get one rated for twice your tank size.
For your sump, I recommened the largest one you can comfortably fit under your stand. I wish I has more room in mine..

Congrats on the the new tank. Those are nice dimensions.
For return pump you could do a mag 9
Sump a 40 breeder would be good.
As for skimmers I like the Reef Octopus cone skimmers

I have the sro2000xp cone on my 150 and does a great job.

Hi and thanks for the quick response. I will have to google a mag 9 as I have never heard of them before. I live in the uk so not sure the same equipment is available to me.
When you say 40 breeder that is 40 gallons I assume?

Skimmer I have been looking at the bubble Magnus nac 6.

Your skimmer size will depend on what you are planning to do with your tank. Are you planning reef or fowlr? Heavily stocked or lightly stocked? Predatory fish or peaceful fish? It is typically recommended to get one rated for twice your tank size.
For your sump, I recommened the largest one you can comfortably fit under your stand. I wish I has more room in mine..

Hi again thanks for the quick response.
I plan on doing a reef system with corals both soft and hard. Fish will be yellow tang, powder blue tang, pink tailed trigger, flame angle, and a few goby's.

Sump size I was thinking around 120-150 Lts

Hi and thanks for the quick response. I will have to google a mag 9 as I have never heard of them before. I live in the uk so not sure the same equipment is available to me.
When you say 40 breeder that is 40 gallons I assume?

Skimmer I have been looking at the bubble Magnus nac 6.

Yes a 40 breeder is a 40 gallon tank but the dimensions are 36x18x16
Bubble Magnus is a good skimmer

I'm thinking of putting a T5 6 tube light unit above the tank. With the tank being 30" high will this be enough? If not can anyone recommend something?

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom