Sump/skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A sump is ideal but not needed. Youre goin to need to clean that fx5 constantly and i would invest in a skimmer for a tank that size.

With a sump, is the water changed performed there or still from the main tank?

Lawowee so a canister filter is ok to use in a marine tank I'm planning to setup a reef other members told me a refugium sump what do you think of Berlin system I can't decide on filter I read other members threads and advice but I'm stuck can I trust my lfs on selling me the best equipment I need for a saltwater tank

Sump/algae scrubber with good skimmer. And just start your on thread. You'll get more responses.

ZHiTcH41 said:
With a sump, is the water changed performed there or still from the main tank?

Either one. Just turn off the return pump and siphon the water out.

Solo - just run a sump/fuge with a deep sandbed and macro algae. You'll see that many reefers here have success with just that. Its really not all that complicated. The DSB and macro algae will suck up the nitrates. Then you keep your water params at the correct levels and voila, youll have almost the same conditions as an actual coral reef.

You will be able to do less frequent water changes growing macroalgae in a sump and using a skimmer. Canisters do not let you do that and weekly water changes will be important.

If you compare the water quality, the "canister + large (30-50%) weekly water changes" combo has superior water quality than the skimmer + macroalgae (water change every 3-4 weeks, or tiny every week). Basically you'll be paying more money and time for the superior water quality. Canisters aren't a bad thing at all in this regard.

Thanks I go with a Sump and can I buy Sump already mad for a refugium and micro algae internal overflow or external overflow witch is better

A drilled internal overflow is definitely better. You can buy a sump/fuge already made if you have the money, but it is way cheaper to build it yourself and you can build it to your own specifications.

Yeah i was think about drilling my own tank for overflow system, I've been watching YouTube videos

Back
Top Bottom