Sump Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tone973

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon tank. I want to do a sump setup so that I can hide my heater and skimmer in it. I would like to put it on the bottom level behind the glass door under the tank. Any suggestions?

ForumRunner_20130305_115533.jpg

ForumRunner_20130305_115549.jpg

Can you provide a little more info, is it a FOWLR or Reef. How much room do you have. Future plans?

I just started the tank. Want to do a reef tank. No fish yet. I don't have allot of space in that area under the tank. What is the required gallon sump for a 56 gallon tank?

I just started the tank. Want to do a reef tank. No fish yet. I don't have allot of space in that area under the tank. What is the required gallon sump for a 56 gallon tank?

I'd say 10% of the display tank would be the minimum, but its recommended to do 20% or bigger. The bigger the better the more water you can add to the system the better. Do you have room for a 10 or 20g tank under there? Personally I think I would consider building/buying another stand. Is the shelf in the middle structural, do you feel safe removing it? I'm looking at this on my phone so it's hard to see.

I'm measuring now. And looking at dementions of ten gallon tanks. Hopefully I can fit none.

I'm measuring now. And looking at dementions of ten gallon tanks. Hopefully I can fit none.

I would look into finding a tall tank it looks like (if the shelf is removable) you have much more vertical room than you do horizontal room. That way you can maybe hold more water volume.

Tip: when you think you have the size tank you want to use as a sump, before you go buy it. Make a template out of cardboard or something and make sure it will fit into the tank as it looks like to opening is much smaller than the interior of the stand so you need to make sure the tank can go in and make the turn into it.

For sure. That the main issue. Making that turn. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom