Sump Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think that my filtration is inadequate, and I don't want to add any live rock to my tank. I've been considering buying a sump for my 42 gallon hex tank, but I haven't been finding any good deals until today. I found a complete setup for a really good price, but there is a problem... it's for a 100-150 gallon tank, and I have a 42 gallon tank. Is this a problem?

My concern is that the siphon in the overflow box will run dry. The setup has a double outlet overflow box (don't know how many gph) and a Rio 2100 for the return. I'm concerned that with as little water as I have in my tank and as wimpy of a pump as that is the siphons will run dry. I'm new to sumps, though, so I thought I'd check with you guys.

EDIT - I forgot to mention that the drain hoses on the overflow are 1 1/4". I don't know if you can figure how the gph based on that, but that's the diameter of the two drain hoses.

the trick with overflows and return pumps is that it all basically boils down to the return pump needs to be "smaller" than the overflow. How it works is this;

the return pumps water into the tank. The level rises and spills into the overflow which flows into the sump. The return pump pumps that back into the tank and the process continues. The overflow will operate at what ever rate the return pump is set to. ON ONE CONDITION: the return pump MUST be rated lower than that of the overflow. If the return pumps water faster than the overflow can handle then you run the risk of flooding your house :eek:)

so, even though your sump wont be performing with a great volume of water because of a small pump, it will operate just fine. and the fact that it's "for 100-150 gallon tank" doesn't hurt at all. The more water volume you have the better (less water quality flucuation).

I knew that the pump had to smaller than the overflow. I appreciate the help. The question I had was whether or not having *too* small of a pump would allow the siphon in the overflow to run dry, but I think you indirectly answered that as a "no" for me. :)

Thanks a bunch. I actually already bought a sump, anyway, though. I bought a 75 gal rated sump with overflows, bioballs, return pump, and hoses for $129.00. Pretty good deal compared to what the LFS wanted for them. :)

Usually its estimated that a single 1" drain line on an overflow can process 600-700gph. My double drain overflow is rated at 1400gph.

If you have a double drain overflow and only use 1 U tube instead of two or three then you should be fine with a RIO2100 and not have water flowing to slow thru the U tube that air collects.

When sizing a pump calculate the head pressure flow rate. If you pump has to push water up 4' then you have 4' of head pressure. RIO's are classic for not performing very well under head pressure so dont be supprised if you lose about 20% of the GPH at 4' head vs to 0' head.

The setup I bought has a CAP 1800 (no idea on gph) and a single U-Tube, but I don't know the diameter of it. I would assume that if they're selling as a packaged deal that it's acceptable. If I need a bigger pump I have leftover cash with which to get it. Thanks for the help, guyz. :)

Any suggestions for when I set up my sump?

Back
Top Bottom