Sump thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleHauze

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting ready to upgrade my sump because i dont like the limited choices i have for skimmers. So my question is what is the best sump type, refuge, sump, or wet dry trickle, and why.

Personally, I prefer a refugium over the other types. Growing macro algae really helps keep everything in check in my tank. I also have a large population of pods thanks to my refugium.

I am not a fan of trickle filters however. They work amazingly well for fresh water applications but there's really no need for them in salt water because of the low bio load of the system. Imho in salt the BB is all about the anoxic areas of the tank which a trickle filter doesn't have.

That has been my thought as well. I currently am running a refugium sump but it is too small to fit a nice size skimmer in it and still be able to maintain the filter bag

I made my own, used a 55g tank, three baffles, water into sock filter live rock/ skimmer, into refugium, the back up. Simple and work perfect for my 125g

Able to fit a reef octo rated for 130 gal with plenty of room to spare.

I've seen some really nice staggered 10 gal sumps. Where they took three 10 gallon tanks and connected them with pumps so that each had its own designated purpose. Or just take a 20 gal tank and add three baffles. It's all about room like you stated above.

Back
Top Bottom