Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-21-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
sump vs refugium - which first

I am almost finished with phase one (lights, skimmer, LR) of my setup. My next step as I have mentioned in another thread, is to add a refugium and a sump. Because of the weird shape (92g corner) I am believe I will be doing a HOB refugium and a 20H sump due to space restrictions.

I am looking to add the additional equipment over the next 2 months. In your opinion, which should have priority: Sump or refugium.

My gut says the refugium but I would like to hear additional opinions.

Serpentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would go with a sump first as it will add a greater volume of water to your whole system, it gives a place to put your unsightly things like heaters and skimmers as well as when you do water changes you don't have to disturb the DT. Thats my 2 cents worth. HTH.

65 gal reef
2 PC's 192W each , 20 gal sump/fuge
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree with doing a sump first. Not sure I do not agree with the more water volume than a fuge (if done right) but it makes a good place to hide heaters etc. Also great place for top off water, skimmer, etc.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You can also maximize your return flow to enable a greater net tank turnover with the sump, whereas the fuge needs a lower gph flow through it to fully achieve its goal and avoid disruption.

Go with the sump or incorporate a fuge inside the sump.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #5

ich, refugium, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com