Sun corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have read that since sun corals inhabit shady area's, and lack the symbolic zooxanthellae that other polyps/anemone's use, ....is this true?
if so I would love to get one for my tank, I know I will have to target feed it and am 100% fine with that :)
any info would be great!

Tubastraea can be found in various locations, from sunlit areas to overhangs where the nutrient levels are high. They do lack zooxanthellae so each "head" will need to be fed meaty foods, such as mysis, often. Keep water parameters stable (Ca/Alk too!), efficient nutrient control, and be patient in their care. As a side note, T. micranthra seems to need very special care and is not one I can recommend for beginners.

Attachments

• 100_0213_893.jpg
    100_0213_893.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 24
melosu58 said:
blazeyreef said:
I know I will have to target feed it and am 100% fine with that :)
any info would be great!

I use to say this also but it gets old after awhile. Here is some info

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=getitem&db_id=5&item_id=37

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=517

Here is a pic of mine
awesome thanks! I know I have seen you say that before...but I think im up to the challenge! just like handfeeding a baby bird, it takes time and patience, but in due time, it pay's off!
you never know till you try right? :D

I wish you the best. Just remember Put them on the bottom and under a ledge for best placement.

is it best to target feed ALL polyps? i have been for my brown and green polyps. they seem to enjoy it as they have grow from the size of nickel for the largest head, to well past a silver dollar in 2 months. can they grow too fast?

Yes they can but the difference is the sun polyps will not make it without target feedings while the button polyps and zoos will make it without target feedings. Yes they enjoy it and yes they grow but they do not have to have them. I`m glad to see yours growing good.

melosu58 said:
I wish you the best. Just remember Put them on the bottom and under a ledge for best placement.
ok thank you! I am willing to "try something new" if it doesnt work out...lesson learned! :)

They also like an area with decent flow. I have mine directly under my 130 watt pc lights (20 gallon) so it is in straight light, but the flow there seems to be great for it. It will open usually around 10 in the morning and close around 1 then open up again before the lights go out around 9. The best way to tell that they are doing well is first if they open up, but also when they are closed if they look swelled up. Thats how you know if they are doing well. Just keep them fat and happy.

They are really beautiful corals. Like everyone has said, you'll have to target feed....but it's really worth it. I picked up a good sized sun coral and it's been doing very well (and I'm REALLY new at this whole thing). I've moved mine down to the lower levels of my tank where I have a good flow. Good Luck and I'm looking forward to pictures of your new coral.

Back
Top Bottom