Super cloudy water on start up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I added salt and first bag of sand yesterday just added a second bag today..im sure itll clear as it did over night

The foam is just some nastiness in the sand bag. It will dissipate.
yes, there are always risks when adding things to the tank that you don't know the history of. For example, if this guy had ich and added copper to the tank, you would not want that rock for free.
If he had a massive algae problem and gave up trying to correct it, you will have a battle getting the rock cleaned up in a new system.
if there are unwanted hitch hikers on the rock, you'll have to deal with them as well.
You know you can buy dry rock and it will become live in a very short time. You don't really need live rock.
Bulk Reef Supply and Marco rocks sell dry rock fairly reasonably.

Thanks X, OK so I get home, my tank cleared up a lot..but there's a ton of..junk in there that I guess came with the live sand..little sticks.. rocks.. shells..im in there messing around and sifting threw the sand trying to collect some of the bigger stuff and my tank is just as cloudy as earlier..will it always be like that? If so I might consider replacing the sand with pool filter sand which I have in my 2 freshwater (if possible) I mean it looks like I poured a gallon of milk in..so what if I get sand sifters or whatever will it happen?

Thanks X, OK so I get home, my tank cleared up a lot..but there's a ton of..junk in there that I guess came with the live sand..little sticks.. rocks.. shells..im in there messing around and sifting threw the sand trying to collect some of the bigger stuff and my tank is just as cloudy as earlier..will it always be like that? If so I might consider replacing the sand with pool filter sand which I have in my 2 freshwater (if possible) I mean it looks like I poured a gallon of milk in..so what if I get sand sifters or whatever will it happen?

I had the same problem and being new it was very traumatizing .
It does settle ,
And after the dust is polished out it will be good .
Run your finder with floss and rinse as needed .
Did you remove all the shells and bigger pieces ?
How deep is the sand in the bottom ?

Finder is supposed to be filter .

I added an whisper ex70 for extra help! Lol weird looking right.?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131014_224030.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131014_224030.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 53
It will clear up. Mine did the same thing with new sand added...took about 3-4 days before it looked good again.

Back
Top Bottom