Super cloudy water on start up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evo8

Aquarium Advice Freak
My water is solid milk colored..Lol it clouded up when I added the salt..is ok? It looks like a TV in the pic Haha.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131013_195516.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131013_195516.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 71
  • ForumRunner_20131013_195609.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131013_195609.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 70
So you didn't mix the salt with water prior to adding to tank? Just dumped salt in the tank?

Was it cloudy in the bucket? Is it new sand in the tank? If so, did you rinse it very well? If not, then it's the sand clouding things up and eventually it will settle. It could take a couple days. I ran filter floss in my hang on back filter to help speed the clearing up process...

Well I mixed it in the tank and it was very cloudy...I added 25lbs of live sand shortly after

Well I mixed it in the tank and it was very cloudy...I added 25lbs of live sand shortly after

Yea I wouldn't worry about it, it will settle. Hook up a HOB filter like I did, it will definitely speed things up.

It may take a while but it will clear it will take a little longer cause you mixed salt in tank and you also added sand so it's now a waiting game.

Ok...cool I have a 15 g extra ill hook up..fml I need to add about more lbs of sand..its going to cloud again isnt it?
Can I use regular rock (not live) in my filter as rubble and it will build bacteria? Also should I keep my pumps and all on or turn them off and let things settle

I would add all the sand now. What you mean by rock was it once live or you talking bout regular rock regular rock I would say no cause I never used it or heard of anyone that did in a saltwater tank you can use lr cured or not.

They're probably just talking about dry rock, rubble. If so, then yes, you can and yes, it will become live for added biological filtration.

Ok...cool I have a 15 g extra ill hook up..fml I need to add about more lbs of sand..its going to cloud again isnt it?
Can I use regular rock (not live) in my filter as rubble and it will build bacteria? Also should I keep my pumps and all on or turn them off and let things settle

I agree with Street. Add all the sand now. You can run the pumps, and filter. The pumps will help all the really fine particle matters fine their way into the filter.

I have to pick up another bag of sand tomorro..I think its clearing a bit now..and yeah just dry rock..say broken up base rock

I have to pick up another bag of sand tomorro..I think its clearing a bit now..and yeah just dry rock..say broken up base rock

Yes will be fine. If you are putting rubble in a HOB it will eventually establish bacteria, as well
as be a nice little breeding ground for pods...

It, s a biocube, I suspect this doesnt make a difference? Can I use any rock as base rock

No. Some land rock is comprised of things you do not want in a salt water tank. Heavy metals, and other elements that are not ideal.
Use calcium based rock.

Like rock from the beach? Im in sw florida and come across great rock pieces around our beaches all the time..I have some in my 60g cichlid tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131013_221405.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131013_221405.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 45
  • ForumRunner_20131013_221422.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131013_221422.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 53
I answered in the other thread. Those rocks you have there should be fine to use. Just make sure you never dosed the cichlid tank with copper based meds for ich, and it's ok to use. If you did, then there is a chance you may not be able to keep inverts because the copper will leach out of the rock and kill them.

Score! I got 16lbs of live sand from petco . 6 bucks on clearance. A guy off CL is willing to sell me around 25 lbs of live rock for 2 or 3 lbs a pound also..Fiji. any risks associated with this? My tank looks like a TV again after adding this new bag! FML. Lol any reason why the top foams when I add sand?

Back
Top Bottom