Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
I still dont get how having a couple damsals in something as large as a 40g.. or in my case a 29g, could hurt them/anything else. As long as you lock up the ammonia.. no harm, no foul. I have noticed though.. most who use fish to cycle.. those fish have usually outlived all the other fish... My bala's were used in my FW tank.. and have done fine thus far.. They are more energetic than most fish ive seen..

I guess its one of those things.. if you can live threw it.. you grow stronger kinda things.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Actually no, if you live through NH3 burn, which affects the respiratory system, then the animal will continue to live with labored breathing in comparison to prior because the gills are not able to convert as much oxygen (Layman's terms) and can eventually shorten the life expectancy.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Excellent description James. That is my problem with the ammonia part of it. Most people that cycle with fish say that there fish are healthy but they dont know that no more than the man in the moon. How do you know what that fish is feeling. We do have scientific evidence that says what happens to them when exposed to ammonia. I`m talking evidence not just what you want to believe or hope for.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
I see all my fish swimming around happy go lucky.. no problems keeping up with. if not leading the pack, as they swim in circles in dead sprint.. I see no problem with there health.. my fish are spoiled though..
Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
Thanx but no.....

Much like smoking where you don't see immediate outward effects the damage done has been researched and documented as fact by professionals.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

To the original poster...

If you're seeing nitrItes, then your cycle isn't done. If your post was a typo, and you meant that you're seeing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrItes, and your nitrAtes are starting to go up, then I'd say yes... you've cycled. (Assuming the water had 0 nitrAtes in it to start with.)

If you use truly cured rock with a good population of bacteria on it to start with, you can see a very quick cycle. I experienced this with my main tank.

Also... while cycling, don't worry about pH and don't use buffers. pH will naturally bounce all over the place as a tank cycles. Only focus on it once things stabilize. Adding buffer and chasing pH during the early stages of a tank will only mess up your alkalinity/calcium balance right off the bat and cause you more work down the road.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Much like smoking where you don't see immediate outward effects the damage done has been researched and documented as fact by professionals.
Agreed it's like smoking 10 packs is cigarette's a day you can't breath. They may look healthy to you but in all honesty there probably saying get me the :censor: out of here.
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nanoluvr
I guess they're healthy because there not dead yet
Old 01-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Let's get back on topic...to AMDPhenomX4, can you post current tank parameters? As Kurt Nelson says, if you see nitrIte then you aren't cycled. I think you mixed up your nitrIte and nitrAte readings in your first post.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I meant nitrate 10-20ppm.

Tags
cycle, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com