Super quick cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMDPhenomX4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I have a 40 gallon saltwater that i put Damsels in last saturday. I bought about 6lbs of live figi rock which was very porous. The tank reading appears to be 0 ammonia and 0 nitrate with 10-20 nitrite. The tank also has an 8.0 ph(using buffer). Aside from that the gravel was reused from another tank which was full of ammonia. With the ammonia being so low could the cycle be finished?

Ok so I have a 40 gallon saltwater that i put Damsels in last saturday. I bought about 6lbs of live figi rock which was very porous. The tank reading appears to be 0 ammonia and 0 nitrate with 10-20 nitrite. The tank also has an 8.0 ph(using buffer). Aside from that the gravel was reused from another tank which was full of ammonia. With the ammonia being so low could the cycle be finished?

I dont think it is cycled, but you did make the right decision.

Your tank will be ready to be enjoyed much quicker, than those who believe in the "fishless theory". You may catch alittle heat, alot of people are very against cycling with fish.

To answer the question, no it isn't cycled because you are showing nitrItes.
Any chance you can get your LFS to double check your parameters?

You may catch alittle heat, alot of people are very against cycling with fish.

Yes and we are against it for very good reasons. Every fish deserves to be treated humanely. If you read that article you`ll see why AMDPhenomX4

This hobby is not for the "super quick" in my opinion. The whole thing about sw tanks is patience. Try and enjoy the process. Read and research. It's so much fun to watch your tank grow into something beautiful.

This hobby is not for the "super quick" in my opinion. The whole thing about sw tanks is patience. Try and enjoy the process. Read and research. It's so much fun to watch your tank grow into something beautiful.

Well said, the closest hobby I can think of would be gardening...

So simular it is uncanny.

Well said, the closest hobby I can think of would be gardening...

So simular it is uncanny.

Yep and cycling with fish would be like fertilizing with gas line antifreeze.

anyways. did i read correctly when you said 6lbs of live rock... can a 40 gallon tank even cycle with that little ammount of rock in it?

-Brad

A tank can cycle with 0 LR in it. The rock is simply 'home base' for the bacteria. If no rock they will just take up residence somewhere else. The key is having enough acceptable real estate. The addition of rock is one such neighborhood but by no means the only development in town.

I still dont get how having a couple damsals in something as large as a 40g.. or in my case a 29g, could hurt them/anything else. As long as you lock up the ammonia.. no harm, no foul. I have noticed though.. most who use fish to cycle.. those fish have usually outlived all the other fish... My bala's were used in my FW tank.. and have done fine thus far.. They are more energetic than most fish ive seen..

I guess its one of those things.. if you can live threw it.. you grow stronger kinda things.

Actually no, if you live through NH3 burn, which affects the respiratory system, then the animal will continue to live with labored breathing in comparison to prior because the gills are not able to convert as much oxygen (Layman's terms) and can eventually shorten the life expectancy.

Excellent description James. That is my problem with the ammonia part of it. Most people that cycle with fish say that there fish are healthy but they dont know that no more than the man in the moon. How do you know what that fish is feeling. We do have scientific evidence that says what happens to them when exposed to ammonia. I`m talking evidence not just what you want to believe or hope for.

I see all my fish swimming around happy go lucky.. no problems keeping up with. if not leading the pack, as they swim in circles in dead sprint.. I see no problem with there health.. my fish are spoiled though..

Much like smoking where you don't see immediate outward effects the damage done has been researched and documented as fact by professionals.

To the original poster...

If you're seeing nitrItes, then your cycle isn't done. If your post was a typo, and you meant that you're seeing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrItes, and your nitrAtes are starting to go up, then I'd say yes... you've cycled. (Assuming the water had 0 nitrAtes in it to start with.)

If you use truly cured rock with a good population of bacteria on it to start with, you can see a very quick cycle. I experienced this with my main tank.

Also... while cycling, don't worry about pH and don't use buffers. pH will naturally bounce all over the place as a tank cycles. Only focus on it once things stabilize. Adding buffer and chasing pH during the early stages of a tank will only mess up your alkalinity/calcium balance right off the bat and cause you more work down the road.

Much like smoking where you don't see immediate outward effects the damage done has been researched and documented as fact by professionals.

Agreed it's like smoking 10 packs is cigarette's a day you can't breath. They may look healthy to you but in all honesty there probably saying get me the :censor: out of here.

Let's get back on topic...to AMDPhenomX4, can you post current tank parameters? As Kurt Nelson says, if you see nitrIte then you aren't cycled. I think you mixed up your nitrIte and nitrAte readings in your first post.

Back
Top Bottom