Supplements for Live Rock Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thor32766

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any one have any tips on supplements i can buy to help the growth of the organisms on the Live rock. To help with coraline alage and othe things.
any advice is more than welcome

thanks

Doing a 20-30% PWC once a month should have all the “supplements” you need. You may need to raise some levels and there are literally tons of supplements on the markets usually designed to promote healthy corals/inverts which would also help your lr. Just don’t add anything to your tank before testing to see if you even need it.

If you don’t have a reef test kit yet you might want to invest in one. Personally I use the Red Sea Reef Lab

stocking with fish and inverts help too, oh yea and feeding :)

j/k - Your organisms will grow as your tank matures... one thing you can do or look for is adding any sort of fuge to your setup, and possibly some macro algae for pods etc to reproduce and play in.

You can buy pods etc, but they are fairly expensive and something that will happen over time anyhow. If your comment was for chemicals etc... then techwzrd is correct about the pwc's (except most argue a 10% weekly is better then one large monthly...)

mykpoz said:
(except most argue a 10% weekly is better then one large monthly...)

So true, especially in smaller tanks. I meant 20-30% total and not monthly. I do 10-20% weekly myself.

Also I forgot to add that coralline algae usually doesn’t just appear. If your lr doesn’t have it now it’s not likely to have it anytime soon. Try to get a small sample of lr with coralline algae on it from your lfs or a friend and it will spread with time.

tecwzrd said:
Also I forgot to add that coralline algae usually doesn’t just appear. If your lr doesn’t have it now it’s not likely to have it anytime soon. Try to get a small sample of lr with coralline algae on it from your lfs or a friend and it will spread with time.

when you get that small piece, turn off circulation, take a razor blade to the rock scraping some coraline off, let it settle for a good 20-30 min and turn circulation back on. When it grows on the glass do the same thing, these fleks of coraline will spread where they land (even scrape off the back even though you probably want it there.) I have a friend that did just that, and it is everywhere.

Also if you are out for Coraline, dont be upset if it doesnt grow, some tanks just cant grow it, while others it is a pain :) ( i am in the second group)

Back
Top Bottom