Suprise in Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boricua1213

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sunday, when feeding the fish I noticed my clown fish was no where to be found. Searched for him and nothing. Thought he might have died of old age. Well today went to LFS to get water for a water change and picked up a Maroon Clown.

Right away the maroon clown went for the Anenome, (which the other little clown fish never did). So after a while I proceeded to change water. With the pump off started to take water out of tank and replace water. I was watching the sump just in case of an overflow. And who do I see swimming in the sump my old clown fish. I could not believe it, the sump was low on water and he still survived.

So I netted him and put him back into tank. Thinking that the two clown fish are two different species, color, and size it will be okay. Well now the maroon clown fish is going after my little clown fish.

Is the maroon clown fish going to kill the other? Can they co-exist? Any ideas?

Thanks,
rick

Maroon clowns are VERY aggressive and will most likely do its best to kill the other clownfish.

Yea, sorry to say, especially if the Maroon is bigger, your old clown is in trouble.

If the old clown is still healthy, may wanna consider taking the Maroon back to the store.

I agree, or you could put him back in the sump.....

Thanks for the info, looks unanimous. And that Maroon does not leave the Percula alone for a second. I decided to get rid of the little percula. At least the Maroon has hosted with the anemone.

Thanks again

I`ve had two clowns (a tomato and gold stripe maroon) and they have existed for 7 yrs but they do fight let me warn you . Not enough to kill each other but I also have a 6 ft tank that helps alot. What size tank do you have?

All I can say is keep a good eye on the situation. Maybe they will make it but be ready to move one if you have to.

cool...I have a maroon, Just wanted to see which type yours hosted..Most everything I have read says Maroon's will only host BTA's.

There is no guarantee they will even host anything or may host a ph, coral, sand, a corner of the tank....

Just like roka64 said they may never host anything or they could go straight for it. My ocellaris clowns host a bta and my tomato clowns host mushrooms and sometimes the star polyps since it's formed a round ball shape. At my lfs, they have a pair of onyx clowns that just host the corner of the tank when there is a rose bta in there. They could also not host the anemone and then months later all of the sudden be all over it.

usmcmarc said:
cool...I have a maroon, Just wanted to see which type yours hosted..Most everything I have read says Maroon's will only host BTA's.

Not always true. Here is mine hosting a bubble coral.

Attachments

• 100_0638_123.jpg
    100_0638_123.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 20
Wow...guess you cant believe everything you read. ;)

Is that an Orange Linckia Star in the background? Mine is NOWHERE near that brite orange, actually he's quite a dull orange.

Attachments

• dsc_2207a_691.jpg
    dsc_2207a_691.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 18
Awesome article melosu58! Lot's of great info. Mine seems to be doing well. I aclimated very slowly, and it seems to be happy. Sits in one spot for a while, then moves to someplace else and hags out.

I just thought it was awfully dull colored, thought maybe there was something wrong with it. Thats the problem with the mail-order stuff. I saved a ton of cash over LFS, but dont get to choose.

Back
Top Bottom