SW Chemisrtry Tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Holy HazMat Batman!!! I figured since I have a reef tank. A small reef tank. Maybe I should get the test kits for Magnesium, Iodine, Strontium, etc..To make sure I have what is needed.

I got them today...WOW, Good thing I'm a Hazardous Materials Technician. These kits are unbelievable. Multiple steps, multiple reagents. Dangerous chemicals. People might want to think twice before purchasing these kits, unless they have some familiarity and comfort with chemistry. The Strontium test alone has 28% nitric acid solution in it. Nitric Acid is some BAAAADDD stuff...Extremely Poisonous, Severe Oxidizer, Extremely corrosive...

LOL, it is so true. I recently saw a show on TV and there a place that has just about every chemistry kit ever sold. The kits I got as a kid in the 60's contained stuff that would have the FBI knocking on your door if you tried to order it today.

The kits today can not really be called chemistry kits anymore. And yes, some of the chemicals we work with can be hazardous, as can some of the livestock we care for.

Which brand kits did you get?

I do test for Ca and Mg but not Strontium or Iodine. I figure my regular PWC's take care of those trace elements.

Glad to see you are testing before adding anything though.

The tests are seachem.

I tested Iodine and Magnesium tonight.

My Iodine came in very low, and there was a reference solution to verify against.

The normal Iodine range was said to be .06 mg/L

Mine came in at .01 mg/L..so I will be getting a supplement.

My Magnesium came in at 1375..the test said normal is between 1200 - 1400.

The Alk was a little confusing..the Mg test is also a Total Alk / Borate Alk / Carbonate Alk test kit.

My API KH kit says I am at 9 dKH. Norm is supposed to be 8-11 dKH.

This seachem kit says

Total Alk normal is 2.5 meq/L - Mine was 2.9
Borate Alk normal is 0.1 - 0.2 meq/L - Mine was 2.5 (!!!!????)

Carbonate Alk is Total minus Borate.... 0.4meq/L ??? Something isnt right.

I was too tired to try the Strontium kit

cmor1701d said:
...I recently saw a show on TV and there a place that has just about every chemistry kit ever sold....
I saw the same show. Very good and interesting. I too have all of the mentioned test kits but I haven't tested for Iodine or strontium. At this point I'm hoping they levels are ok from pwc's alone. In the near future I will get into that portion of the hobby. Some test kits can be quite extensive. I just purchased a new Alk kit (Lamotta) and am trying to understand how to read it. I don't think it provides results in dKH or Meq/L. I have to look at it again and learn it once my current Alk kit is finished.

chase33 said:
...At this point I'm hoping the levels are ok from pwc's alone. ...

Unless your tank is loaded with SPS corals, I think this is a safe assumption. (Assuming you're doing water changes every 1-2 weeks.)

Kurt_Nelson said:
chase33 said:
...At this point I'm hoping the levels are ok from pwc's alone. ...

Unless your tank is loaded with SPS corals, I think this is a safe assumption. (Assuming you're doing water changes every 1-2 weeks.)
I'm hoping the strontium and iodine levels are ok as I test for the others.
- 15-20% pwc weekly.
- Tank consists of many SPS frags that are growing rapidly.
- Drip kalk in top-off to maintain CA and Alk levels
- I test CA 420 ppm, Alk 8.6 dKH, Mg 1260 ppm regularly
- I don't test for Iodine or Strontium - I will in the future but for now a little at a time.

Dosed with Kent Marine Concentrated Iodine supplement this morning.

Tested again at 5:00pm...and My reading was up to about .03

So I dosed again...tested at 7:00pm and came in at right about .06...so we are good in the iodine dept.

I did the strontium test...UUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

I tested 4 times with my sample water...readings were all screwed up

Tested 4 times with the provided standard solution....readingas were all screwed up...

I'm contacting seachem to see if they will replace the kit with a new one.

Seachem says it might be the titrant solution. If it's bad, the test wont read right. They are checking to see if that lot has any other reported problems.

I got a bad seachem Alk test kit a couple months ago. They had problems w/ quite a few of the Alk kits from what I read from other hobbyist online. The customers service is very good IME though.
Be careful adding iodine to your tank. While it is a necessary element, it doesn't take much more than NSW levels to become toxic/lethal to some animals. Also, I would adjust the levels over a few days. That will give your animals more time to show any stress that may be caused from changing water chemistry. Nothing good happens fast in a reef :wink:
HTH

PS- I'm curious what brand salt mix you use that you have such low iodine levels. Do you do PWC's on the tank? Have you tested some fresh saltwater to see if it's low also? Any info is much appreciated.

tests

I'm new to salt water. what tests should i do regularly if my tank has live rock and inverts plus clown fish.[/list]

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph , and alk. I would throw phospate in there too bc controling phospate will help you control algae.

You will need a swing arm Hydrometer or preferably a Refractometer (ATC) to test salinity,
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=769

The main tests you need are:

High Range pH
Ammonia
Nitrate
Nitrite
KH / Alkalinity (Carbonate Hardness)
Calcium

Phosphate (If not using RO/DI water)
Silicate (If not using RO/DI water)
Copper (If not using RO/DI water)

Magnesium (More Advanced testing for reef keeping)
Iodine (More Advanced testing for reef keeping)

I have used both the powder tests and liquid tests. IMEO I have found the liquid tests (API, Salifert) easier and more reliable. I use API.

I'm sure others have had good results from the powder tests.

As I understand, Salifert are supposedly the best, but they are a bit more expensive and harder to get.

SeaChem makes good advanced kits like Magnesium and Strontium..but dont bother with those right now.

OK..Got the replacement Strontium Titrant today from Seachem, did a test and came out good. So, it was just a bad titrant in the kit. Now, I have to ask them about the problems with the Alkalinity portion of the Magnesium Kit...What a pain.

Back
Top Bottom