SW Macro/reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

All_fish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This has been awhile since I last posted,

So in the next month or so I’m planning on starting up a 40 breeder with a bunch of different macros (sea grass, caluerpa prolifera, mermaids fan, pencil cap,etc) because I’ve always loved the look of them and felt that saltwater planted tanks are overlooked. I also want to work in traditional coral into the scape. Stocking would just be a single sf eel that will be moved into a larger aquarium when the time comes I am fairly experienced with reef tanks but I’m still feeling like this has the potential for a disaster. Any warnings or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

This is so true about the Caulerpa. C. Prolifera was the least in the commonly kept varieties, troublesome one. It is easy to pull out from unwanted spaces.

Very interested in watching what your set up will be. My 80G is yet to be set up but I wanted a corner with some grasses.

Are you using any mud? In some suggestions I read was using mud and I think a tray of mud might be good to grow the grasses in, but still not sure how to actually pull it off without the chance of the mud messing up the water (all the time, occasionally???)

One of my favorite things is the plants in the SW. Long term I haven't been successful with the Pencil, Shaving Brush or Mermaid fans, purchased them 2x in 5 years. Worth the effort, and so cool looking.

My best one has been Black Codium /Codium Fragile (have also seen similar ones called Green Codium) aka Dead mans fingers. Apparently like many things which can grow well in a tank, is an invasive pest in many sea waters. I love it in my tank though, definitely gives a ocean environment look.

So my warning thoughts would be that just in case you end up with an infestation of Caulerpa, or it melts on you and causes a tank crash, be thinking that the whole mess of rocks and sand and things in the tank are possibly contaminated with the offending Caulerpa. And you might need to scrap them if there are any serious problems.

Although I do not worry about it presently, just have a couple feathers of the one type and I don't actually recall seeing the Prolifera around for a few months.

I think that they just need routine change of water and not perfect but reasonable consistency in parameters. I had melt downs after large amounts of water added for refill of evaporated water, as in waited too long and did a too large RO/DI addition.

And also after not changing the tank water frequently enough I think. And having the water too warm.

The recent 2 places which had some interesting variety was Reefcleaners.org and Algaebarn (which seemed a little more expensive) Had more variety than RC. All places seem to get more kinds of things and run out frequently with changing varieties and availability.

AB has some cool things right now.

This one looks very interesting - if you read the info it says it "forms a dense mat in long shallow refugia" quoted from their description.

"MONKEY FINGER
GRACILARIA SALICORNIA
FAST GROWING - CRUNCHY MACRO"

If I had a big budget I would try all of them again. ;)

Wanted to try this one from RC
Carpeting Halimeda (Halimeda Opuntia) RC often has the Mermaid fans, shaving brushes and pencils, they look great in the tank, come in healthy..

I also can get ahold of phyllospadix torr fairly easily as it’s named after where I live lol. I absolutely love the way it can cover a rock and flow but it’s cold water and I would be taking those that had been uprooted from ocean so it would have the danger of having parasites so I’m sure this is an obscure question but would I be able to transfer it over to warmer water?

For substrate I was just going to go with live sand bc I hadn’t considered the fact that substrate could have an impact. What should I be looking for in particular?

I think I could work in pulling what I don’t want as part of part of maintenance and I feel like I’ll end up needing to dose nitrates down the road.

I’ll definitely try and keep this thread updated or just pm you with my questions and concerns if you don’t mind lol I’m struggling to find others that like macros too.

Love them! Personally in the middle of a transitional period in the tanks. SW will be coming in due time. Only been waiting 8 months since I got my 80G mentioned. Going for a lagoon type style. Rocks breaking out of the water and plants. Ah, found the long back thread / at a stand still...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...umnskys-island-lagoon-style-build-366664.html

The mud thread
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/using-miracle-mud-or-similar-brand-366690.html

Hopefully there will be a few more MA appreciators. For me, I have a line up of a few things to get done before spending much on the 80G when it finally gets up.

I'm not aware of any species in the hobby that can transfer from warm to cold or vice versa, even if slowly acclimated to such. One should also avoid bringing anything from the ocean into their closed system due to parasite and toxin issues.

Welp I just realized caulerpa is illegal in Cali lol so do you guys have any other suggestions for ma that are somewhat large and could take over a rock/area and would flow?

Which is too bad. I loved it when I had ferrets. They were the work up towards a dog while I was in college.

But when it comes to macro algae look up at Autumnsky's post that gives the answers to your question.

Love the halimeda and codium. So as of now I’m going to try and carpet both on one of the rock islands and try and keep the rest a normal reef with some red ogo if it looks better with it.

Would I have any problems with the eel in this? It’d be the only fish in the system and I’d be using it as a grow out tank. I’m open to other suggestions

Back
Top Bottom