Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

SW - Mail order stock vs. LFS

Today I visited two of the four top LFS in my area, San Francisco, and was looking at all the saltwater fish they had in stock. One had tons of saltwater fish, many varieties and various sizes of each. Upon closer examination, I watched the fish’s behavior. Both places had tanks with fish that looked like they demonstrated a few problems regarding disease, ich probably. Clown fish with white spots were scratching the substrate and coral, some had eyes glazed over with a film, etc. I even saw some dead fish in a few tanks and was appalled.

Here is my question. Are mail order vendors a better choice as far as healthier fish? What are your experiences with mail order vs LFS?

Thanks in advance. I will be starting up a new 50 gal aquarium next week and want to know which the best option as far as stocking it. Any suggestions on using and preparing a QT tank would also help.

Best,
RodneyCK

Old 11-06-2003, 06:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Are mail order vendors a better choice as far as healthier fish?
Not IMO, my experiences have been very good with online buying, but I prefer to inspect my livestock when I can.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 10:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What online shops do you use?
Old 11-06-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use www.liveaquaria.com exclusively for just about everything. There prices area a little high but their service is great. They offer a 10 day money back guarantee for all livestock. My LFS only offers a 24 hour guarantee.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:50 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I have used
www.fishsupply.com
www.liveaquaria.com
www.exoticfish.com
www.hellolights.com

and would do business with any of them again.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 01:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Unfortunately, I may have to resort to strictly buying my fish online. What I saw today at the two local stores was a little upsetting. They are obviously about making a quick buck.

Old 11-07-2003, 09:36 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Some of us dont have the luxary of buying from LFS's unless we drive a long distance to get any kind of good stock so online is one of the only avenues I take.

With my tanks I dont do much fish buying any more but the sites I have purchased from are liveaquaria.com and etropicals.com, seacrop.com, exoticfish.com.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well you guys are pretty lucky for the Marine Guarantee.... I get you just bought a Marine Fish Good Luck guarantee.... they won't even think twice about helping you out. I received a free snail once cause they guy picked a dead one of the tank but that was only a few bucks. Next tiem I think I will by online..

Jc
Old 11-07-2003, 10:45 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
liveaquaria.com has a 10 day "arrive alive" guarintee.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Liveaquaria says that fish orders under $300 cost $24.99 to ship. Is this correct? Am I missing something. This seems pretty good to me.

Tags
lfs, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com