SW - Mail order stock vs. LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RodneyCK

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I visited two of the four top LFS in my area, San Francisco, and was looking at all the saltwater fish they had in stock. One had tons of saltwater fish, many varieties and various sizes of each. Upon closer examination, I watched the fish’s behavior. Both places had tanks with fish that looked like they demonstrated a few problems regarding disease, ich probably. Clown fish with white spots were scratching the substrate and coral, some had eyes glazed over with a film, etc. I even saw some dead fish in a few tanks and was appalled.

Here is my question. Are mail order vendors a better choice as far as healthier fish? What are your experiences with mail order vs LFS?

Thanks in advance. I will be starting up a new 50 gal aquarium next week and want to know which the best option as far as stocking it. Any suggestions on using and preparing a QT tank would also help.

Best,
RodneyCK

Are mail order vendors a better choice as far as healthier fish?

Not IMO, my experiences have been very good with online buying, but I prefer to inspect my livestock when I can.

I use www.liveaquaria.com exclusively for just about everything. There prices area a little high but their service is great. They offer a 10 day money back guarantee for all livestock. My LFS only offers a 24 hour guarantee.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Unfortunately, I may have to resort to strictly buying my fish online. What I saw today at the two local stores was a little upsetting. They are obviously about making a quick buck.

:?

Some of us dont have the luxary of buying from LFS's unless we drive a long distance to get any kind of good stock so online is one of the only avenues I take.

With my tanks I dont do much fish buying any more but the sites I have purchased from are liveaquaria.com and etropicals.com, seacrop.com, exoticfish.com.

Well you guys are pretty lucky for the Marine Guarantee.... I get you just bought a Marine Fish Good Luck guarantee.... they won't even think twice about helping you out. I received a free snail once cause they guy picked a dead one of the tank but that was only a few bucks. Next tiem I think I will by online.. ;)

Jc

Liveaquaria says that fish orders under $300 cost $24.99 to ship. Is this correct? Am I missing something. This seems pretty good to me.

Liveaquaria has always had strange shipping costs. For some reason they base it upon the cost of the order. So reguarless of what you order if its under X amount its one specific price.

I had been avoiding looking at their fish since it says free shipping over $175.00. I figured it would be high. I might have to check it out once I get my newest LR situated.

The LFS guarantee around here is 24 hrs. Big whoop.

It looks like this is the case ellisz, but my recommendation would be to pay $10 more for priority overnight. I am usually the last stop of the day for UPS and FedEx, LOL.

I've also heard that saltwaterfish.com is an excellent store. Though I have never mailed ordered any live stock. Not sure what their guarantee is but the do have one if you sign for the delivery. They also have a great selection, and I have only heard positive. (They have a forum too, everyone on there seems to be really pleased with their live stock.) Though their dry goods section is lacking.

your first pic should always be on the left, then match it with the top, the chart is only 1/2 filled out ;) Also, that chart isn't really as accurate as you might think ;)

That's strange, I just checked the cc chart again and if you start with Clownfish, then it has a blank for compatability with Damsels, but if you start the othe rway around then they are ok. Guess if you get a blank box look up the other fish?

Back
Top Bottom