Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
SW mixing question

I have been whipping up batches of SW once a week. I make about 5 gal at a pop. I mixed up a batch last night and let it set overnight (like usual), but when I came in this morning it was cloudy (it was clear last night) ...never had that happen before. What happened?

Old 09-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Things that make you go "hmmmmm"....

Same salt and source (same bucket) as before too?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree with austinsdad... hmmm.

Did you also mix it up the same way as before - first the water, then add the salt?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
yes..same source, same salt, mixed the same way. Should I throw it out? Or use it?

Although...I did get it fromthe LFS (the RO water) could there be a problem with their water? If they sold alot of it before I got there, might it be the filter was overused?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont ever add SW unless it is clear. Maybe you could add a PH overnite to see what it looks like next day. If it stays cloudy I would not add. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
LFS (the RO water) could there be a problem with their water?
I'd ditch it. That was my next issue. The source water. Better safe than sorry IMO now.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well..I added a PH last nght. When I looked at it this morning, the water was clear...but had this white stuff on the bottom...I thnk it was from the original vessel I kept the water in, which was styrofoam. I think somehow it began to break down. I tossed the water out..along with the container.

Bought a 5gal water cooler (The orange bucket kind) drilled holes in the lid, snaked the heater and PH cords thru it, and have a new mixing bucket. New batch of water is looking good so far.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.....
Old 09-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Regarding that water cooler, plan on getting something else because the insulation will trap the heat and your temp will just keep increasing and increasing... Either that or plan on leaving the lid off, which is probably not good due to possible contamination.

My first mixing tub was one of those big coolers on wheels. Thought I'd be smart and save on energy since I was going to have it in the garage. Even filled with 15 gallons of water, it just kept getting hotter and hotter - even though I'd unplugged the heater. And that was just with a MaxiJet 900. I now use a big Rubbermaid rectangular tub. (But I have a nice new cooler on wheels now!)
Old 09-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But the heater has a thermostat. Won't it shut off when the temp heats to a certain point, then turn on when it drops? The cover has an air space in it, so I drilled offset holes in it for ventilation. Since they are offset, things should not be able to fall in.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah... the heater will turn off. But what I found with my setup was that even with the heater unplugged, the heat generated from the powerhead alone was just building up in the insulated cooler and heating the water higher and higher. The insulation of the cooler was doing too good of a job!

Maybe with the drilled holes in the top, you'll be OK. But I figured I'd just pass on my experience so you wouldn't be surprised if your water ended up hotter than you wanted, and thought you had a bad heater!

Tags
mixing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com