Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
If you want a clam you'll want a much larger tank. The wonders of GIANT clams. I love clams. The best way to think about their care is comparing them to SPS coral. Pristine water and high lighting. If you want clams, a tank bigger than what you've listed is needed. My derasa, the largest of my clams, is over 6 inches across. They take up a ton of room. Try a 20 for the room and then making it easier to find a light source that will suit the needs of the clam you want! The wonders of the fabled taotronics!

In terms of the sand, don't use the sand from freshwater. Under the different ph levels, it could leach some nasty stuff into it. They sell some nice sands, even in pink or black, but if you want to do it on a budget you can simply use pool filter sand.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Alright, the tank dimensions are
29.5 inches wide/across
18" tall from base to top rim of tank
and it has a little bow to the front of the tank.
15" at edges and 17" in the center at the bow

As for the Clam, I would love to have Discus too but I don't.

Kinda thinking of a bigger tank anyway, but heck I don't even know if I can handle it Also the costs and time of taking care of so many little creatures.

There will need to be a bunch of time spent to make sure that everything will work in harmony, lol!

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
SW Noob doing research...have ?'s

IME as far as inverts go everything gets along except crabs(pom pom and acros being the exception) and pistol shrimp ( the smaller ones can be ok, I have a Randall's that has only killed a couple zebra hermits in 3 years, and he lives with a cleaner shrimp in one of my 40breeders
Edit: and if you want the king of the inverts, look up mantis tanks. Amazing animals with personality.

BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote

noob, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com