SW or not SW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just seen a 3ft juwel tank in the local free ads with cabinet, in black (which is what i wanted) for £60 (bout $100 for all you colonists), lights heater inc but for tropical water so everything needs to be bought; but just wanted to get advice on whether that sounds like a decent price?

Is 3ft a realistic size for my first SW tank? What else do I need to buy?

Thanks in advance peeps....

I guess the price depends on your area. 100 seems a little high to me as that sounds like a 40g tank (150 liter or so), depends on how nice the cabnet is. The heater should work for salt or fresh water.

Also, just because it has lights does not mean they will work with all SW tanks. What kind of tank are you looking to set up? If fish only or fish with live rock then basic lights will do but if going for a reef setup I doubt those lights would work.

I would try and get it down to 60-80 IMO.

Depending on your budget and what your looking to get out of SW, I think. that is a decent deal.

If you're going for fish only with live rock, then what your getting is fine, but keep in mind, your choices on livestock are limited. Don't be that guy that puts a tang in your 30-40 gallon and wonder why it died :splat:

Saltwater starts out pretty expensive for the initial purchases, but imo its well worth the money in the long run.

Ok much appreciated. They're about £400 new over here! I would be planning a reef tank, taking it very slowly though. Maybe if that sounds expensive I might leave it and keep my eyes open for another. The bloke is quite a way away and he doesn't have any pics.

No pics = no deal imo. Would suck to drive a ways to see that it has a leak or the stand looks like crap lol.

Always keep your eyes open, people tend to get out of this hobby as fast as they got in, so there is someone that is just trying to get rid of there stuff in a hurry.

Thanks, good advice. Been chatting to a friend here at work too and I think I might keep my eyes peeled for a 90l nano, just so it all looks a bit tidier with everything partitioned at the back. I don't really want a massive tank, and I will only have prob 3-4 fish max. Nothing big, couple of nemos and maybe a cow puffer. Want to create a lovely little mini ecosystem with inverts corals and everything else, I think I need to do some planning!

Back
Top Bottom