SW tank is getting that smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clark4feathers

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, so my tank has a raw shrimp in for about 48 hours or so...I plan to test it tonight, I can only hope something is happening because I opened the lid and the smell could of knocked me over...my husband thinks I am a little whacky...lol. Please tell me this smell will eventually go away

The smell will eventually fade as time goes on . If you can opening your windows will help , if you have some vanilla extact clear place some in a bowl to help eliminate the smell ... Or a box of backing soda in the area this will be safe for the birds you have as well ....IF you can stand it opening the tank top will also help to remove the smell even more .... But rest assured it will go away ... I promise it wont smell like a bay forever :D

LOL...more like a gas mask...took the shrimp out after testing the ammonia...pretty high...now I need to add light and nutrients? if so how much for my 12G. I know it is small however I love a challenge...just ask my parrots...

You really dont need light at this point in the game ... you have the nutrients in the tank now , so in a week or 2 test again your ammonia will rise and fall next your NitrItes will rise and fall and your NitrAtes will rise and fall but not go completly ... , then add a bit of fish food and test a day later , if every thing seems in check , go ahead do a water change wait a day or 2 test again if still in check you can add your clean up crew ... then you can start cycling your lights ;)
How many Greys do you have and do you have others ... Zagz on here has greys and I have a zon , bcc , and a tiel ;) plus 2 cats and 2 salt tanks 2 hermit crabs that I can NOT stand but are not mine and a husband :p

I would leave the shrimp in the tank until you get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some measurable nitrates (when the cycle is complete). How high was the ammonia?

Do you have a # for the ammonia reading as the test kit doesnt show real high.. trust us this stuff is important. There is a reason there are numbers on the kits instead of high, real high, ok , good and bad.

I would leave the shrimp in as you don't want to limit your bacteria growth at this time. You want max growth until lyou are at 0 ammonia and nitrite and you have added animal life to sustain the bacteria growth. 2 is not to high....

Another vote for leaving the shrimp in the tank. I'd imagine you already threw it away, so you may want to throw another one in there or even cut it to half the size of the first one. This time leave it in until you are cycled.
Just wait until it grows its own cocoon around it, you're going to love it:pepsi:

Cycling your tank with no live stock you can go up to 4.0 infact thats usually the goal. Doesnt always get that high with raw shrimp its where you want it. So your half way to where you want your ammonia.

ok..um I put another shrimp in the tank. I think I took the other one out to soon. So here I am again with a smelly shrimp. Not sure if I should turn lights on for a few hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom