Switch from LED to MH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everybody!
I'm wondering if I should switch from LED to metal halide lights for my reef? I'm not seeing much progress with some SPS.

DETAILS:
I've got a 20 g tall that I'm currently using as a 'nano' reef.
It's doing great in that there is slight growth and everything is healthy and stable - it's been in a routine for about 7 months now (wc every friday, spot feed every tues and thurs, feed fish EOD).
The parameters are all stable, although I haven't been able to get my pH above 7.9~8.0.

I am not seeing a lot of growth, and anything SPS is not doing much of anything at all.
I have one digitata that is growing VERY slowly.
My monti, chalice, and acro are literally doing nothing.
I haven't seen any growth in 7 months (aside from slight coloring or polyp extension after feeding).
The zoas are intermittent, candy canes grow very slowly, and mushrooms/xenias are out of control (as expected lol)

I'm using an LED mounted about 4 inches above the tank. It's the CAD lghts nano LED setup... this one:
CAD-Lights-Mini-Series-Nano-Aquariums.jpg

I don't use a protein skimmer or sump or anything, just 2 HOB filters (I know, I know) and regular water changes of about 15~20% weekly.

I'm assuming this light is not enough for this big/tall of a tank? Should I upgrade to MH?

You will also need to consider the heat it will be producing. People with MH's they also have to run chillers.

Yeah. I could see that.
I wonder why I'm not getting any growth then?
I always see people with progress pics on build threads or competitions for short periods of time, and they get CRAZY growth.

Is it maybe the lack of protein skimmer then?

Why do SPS hate my tank?? :(
Why does everything barely grow at all?

Sounds like a combo light/ water quality issue as for why they are not growing. You obviously have enough to keep them alive but not to thrive. That won't keep up for ever. I'd address the water quality issue before concerning yourself with new lights ;)

I too can't seem to keep SPS in my tank right now and I have the 4 T5 unit on my tank. But my kenya trees are doing great, finger leather is doing good and well my rbya's well I now have 4 started with only 1 and they are getting very big. I have heard and seen the sucess of the MH's for SPS tanks. I just don't want the heat and have to run a chiller. I have been following a huge thread on here about the Chinese led lights and I am going to try them out and see I can start keeping SPS.

What led unit is this? You posted a picture of a tank. I don't see specs on any LED fixture. I see one over one of their nanos that's only 4 watts. That's not going to grow much of anything. Metal halide would be going backwards replacing the right LED fixture.

I don't know the specs. I bought the light kinda last minute in a disaster because the par38 I ordered from dr foster and smith got knocked into the tank.
a LFS told me they could sell me that one cheap and it'd work for my tank, so I just grabbed it used, no box or anything.
I know nothing about it and CAD's website isn't much help :/

I'm going to be moving the tank over to a 35 hex once it I cycle it and get the parameters in check.

What would you recommend for light? I will plan on selling this little crappy one and looking into something else.

I would stick with LED lighting, but obviously something different than what you have. I'm using cheap ebay fixtures that work quite well for the money. I suppose it depends on what you want to spend and what options you want it to have.

I also got my LEDs off eBay. 120w for my 35 gallon. I love them. Dimmable, And separate plugs for blue and white, so I can have them on separate timers. I paid around $180 for them.

I have a 20H with an AL sol nano, Dimmable LED's about 250-300$$
A little pricy but im extremly happy with it. It has touch controls and u can buy a controller for it to simulate thunderstoms and cloudy weather, awesome! A MH id (in my opinion). Way too powerful and hot, I can almost promise you that you will have problems keeping the tempurature down. The biocube HQI is a good one tho. Although honestly i feel LED's are better and lighter on your electric bill!

I would stick with LED lighting, but obviously something different than what you have. I'm using cheap ebay fixtures that work quite well for the money. I suppose it depends on what you want to spend and what options you want it to have.

I also got my LEDs off eBay. 120w for my 35 gallon. I love them. Dimmable, And separate plugs for blue and white, so I can have them on separate timers. I paid around $180 for them.

Do you have a link to these eBay LEDs?
I'm a broke college student, sooo the cheaper the better.

What wattage should I look at for my 35 hex?

Also, filtration --- I'm using a HOB filter on my 20g now. I've heard this is useless (or a nitrate factory).
Should I stick to just live rock + powerhead + weekly water changes?
Is a protein skimmer going to be hugely beneficial?
I'm sure I could find one on CL for like $60 :D

It`s a small tank so not a big deal but metal hallide i was running on a 90 gallon was sucking back the power roughly around $25 a month (i think)

Do you have a link to these eBay LEDs?
I'm a broke college student, sooo the cheaper the better.

What wattage should I look at for my 35 hex?

Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL09 Dimmable Aquarium Coral Reef LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 28:27; Two-Year Warranty): Pet Supplies
Also, filtration --- I'm using a HOB filter on my 20g now. I've heard this is useless (or a nitrate factory).
Should I stick to just live rock + powerhead + weekly water changes?
Is a protein skimmer going to be hugely beneficial?
I'm sure I could find one on CL for like $60 :D
If you keep the HOB filter clean it will be fine, but I prefer a protein skimmer over a sponge filter.

A MH id (in my opinion). Way too powerful
Your SOL unit is more powerful than a comparable metal halide.

Tell me about your hex. Mine is a UniQuarium from pet smart. There are three chambers in the back. I have macro algae in the back and my heater. I had a protein skimmer on it, but it didn't do much, I don't think I have a big bio load. My live rock, macro algae, and water changes seem to keep everything stable.

Back
Top Bottom